Zapatay

Will these little guys make it thru Zone 5a summer

Neighbor had three very small tomato plants which she left on my steps. My tomato plants are large - very large - compared to these little guys.

What do you think? Do you think they'll make a shorter zone 5a - Southern WI, Norther IL summer?

The space was orginally meant for green peppers but since the little ones were fragile, I quickly planted them...

Might be hard to see them - right in the middle.

The other little ones you see are misc annual flowers that neighbor did not have a home for (?)

[img]https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/zapatay/garden060810.jpg[/img]

nes
Green Thumb

Since my dogs killed my tomato seedlings (also my strawberries, a pepper, they are in big trouble...) I had to re-start them Aprilish. Mine are as big as yours but now growing like STINK.

I think we'll be okay.

I planted left-over seedlings last year in July and still got a few tomatoes, but we had the darkest year on record (no sun!) so it was a bad year for veggies, otherwise I think I would have actually gotten a whole harvest.

Actually those toms were really hardy - I kept 2 over the winter and they are back in my garden still growing away (little experiment of mine ;))

stella1751
Greener Thumb

nes wrote:Since my dogs killed my tomato seedlings (also my strawberries, a pepper, they are in big trouble...) I had to re-start them Aprilish. Mine are as big as yours but now growing like STINK.

I think we'll be okay.
My dogs did the same thing! They are so darned old and it's been so long since they erred that I foolishly trusted them. I watered the seedlings with a fish emulsion dilute in their trays and came out about an hour later to total, wanton destruction and two innocent-looking dogs with soil crumbs clinging to their gray lips.

There's gotta be a doggie rehab for mutts addicted to fish emulsion.

Anyway, most of the tomato seedlings survived, but just in case, I started five new seedlings on April 16. One actually snapped off in its pot during a wind gust, but the other four were planted Sunday. I've done this before in Zone 4 and done pretty well. I fully expect these seedlings to catch up with the ones I planted on May 10, because they grew next to nothing in our cold, inhospitable soil.

I think we'll all be fine :-)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”