macimic
Newly Registered

Intro/Tomato Leaf Curl and Spots

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a new gardener as well. I've planted 6 tomato plants in raised beads about 3 weeks ago and am just starting to show signs of a problem. The plants seem to be growing great and new growth does not seem to be affected. However on the lower leafs I have some leaf curl, which I've read can be due to over or under watering. I'm guessing with the rain we've gotten in the past week it's probably too much water. I also have some burnt edges on some of the leaves that have curled and some yellow and brown spotting on others. Not sure if it's several things going on or just due to wet conditions. Some helpful hints would be great!!! I have pictures but am having trouble adding them!!!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I seem to get leaf roll on a few plants every year. I ignore it because there is not much you can do.

It is pretty common to have some spots (septoria and early blight) on older lower leaves, for various reasons. When a leaf looks to be about half way infected-killed off I will remove it, and if around 20-25% of the plant's leaves are infected I will consider spraying, but a lot of that is dependent on the weather. I will clip leaves and spray if a plant looks like it is getting worse and the weather is going to be wet. I won't spray if the weather is going to be hot and dry.

Young plants depend on the older lower leaves for their growth so I try to leave them on until the plant gets some size to it. How different people handle the situation depends on their experience with their plants in their climate, and unfortunately that experience comes from watching plants get screwed up at least one time rather than doing all they can to keep plants picture perfect.

Unfortunately, with the late blight already starting up this year people will have to be extra dilligent about treating problems quickly, and with a firm hand. Luckily Late blight does not look like the other foliage diseases.

This link will lead you to some good pictures of diseases

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25579

macimic
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice!! When you mention spray, what do you use? I read a post earlier from someone who used a milk and yogurt mixture, was that you?

Thanks,
macimic

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't have much faith in home remedies (milk, compost tea etc.) because after looking at the evidence from controlled scientific studies I don't see much consistency between studies or between crops. Possitive results seem pretty random. I rarely use "products" but when I do I want them to work.

I explained my views on fungicides here

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26378

macimic
Newly Registered

Thanks again for the information!!! Oddly enough, after having two major rain storms in one day and removing some of the worse off leaves some of the leave rolls have subsided. Now I'm totally baffled!!

Thanks,
macimic

macimic
Newly Registered

I was able to add a link of the pics.

https://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/macimich/tomato%20problem/?albumview=slideshow

macimic

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”