Dixana
Greener Thumb

My first ever volunteers!!!

Last fall my worm bin got infested with centipedes. I dumped the whole thing out and picked allllllllllll the worms out. The unfinished castings went into a styrofoam minnow bucket.
The bucket has been sitting behind the shed and topday I found this:
[img]https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Dixana/1275496554.jpg[/img]
Three tomato plants!! All my toms last year were hybrids so who knows what they'll be but I'm still keeping them :D

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I love volunteers, because they are very strong plants. 24 plants popped up at my workplace, and 2 are in my garden now!

EG

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I'm excited! :D Though I must say, three more tomato plants I did not need......
I have 3 Berkely tie dyes, 1 black krimm, 4 cherries, 6 yellow pears, 3 lemon boys, 3 champions, and now 3 volunteers........
Anyone remember how big I said my garden was? I hope not :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love volunteers... last year I had a couple of volunteer squash plants that I let grow and did great. This year I have two volunteer potates growing in my compost pile, that I'm still debating what to do with...
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

soil
Greener Thumb

This year I have two volunteer potates growing in my compost pile, that I'm still debating what to do with...
lol me too, to turn and destroy and get compost. or let them go and get food..... decisions, decisions :?
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nothing better than volunteers unless you had as many as me this year, it was truly unbelievable, But you know what I would do with them if you are running out of room. I would rip them out of the ground and throw them as far as I could.

Oh wait what am I thinking, I wouldn't do that. I would make a bigger garden. Yeah that's it. I just hate to waste plants, but sometimes you have to. But only a few I cold definitely find a spot for them somewhere. You said they are hybrids so this year you could have the next "best" tomato ever.

Give them a try I have saved quite a few of my volunteers they will take the place of my cool crops when they go down. I just saved the most hardy. maybe 10 or so. It's hard to say cause I keep noticing more every time I go out there.

Good luck with those, I say let them grow and see what happens. That's my motto anyways. :D

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:D:D:D I'm definatly keeping them. Can't help myself. I have to REPEATEDLY tell myself though "you can't buy anymore plants"
who can help it?
This winter it's going to be more like "I can't plant ANY MORE seeds"........the list keeps getting longer though :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote::D:D:D I'm definatly keeping them. Can't help myself. I have to REPEATEDLY tell myself though "you can't buy anymore plants"
who can help it?
This winter it's going to be more like "I can't plant ANY MORE seeds"........the list keeps getting longer though :D
Good to hear you are keeping them. I'm going to let mine grow where they came up. I have read that tomatoes started from seed will do better than transplants so we will see. I was going to plant seed and do a test but I didn't have too. :lol:

I totally feel you on the "i can't buy any more plants" ordeal. I go to garden shops way too much for this and that. I have to force myself to put things back on the shelf a lot of times. Though sometimes I end up leaving with something anyways. :lol:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I fully understand, gixx. Garden centers are like a magnet, and I always walk out with something.

EG

VeggieGrower

I have 3 tomato volunteers this year too. I'm debating if I want to move them, or let them grow where they are. They came up between my row of carrots and my row of swiss chard which are 2 feet apart, and I'm afraid they might be crowded. Any thoughts?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a volunteer tomato coming up in the bushes in the front yard where no tomatoes or garden has every been planted. I think some bird made a deposit. I am going to let it grow just to see what type tomato it produces.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”