bunge

Black Tomatoes: Ever heard of them?

:shock:
I've never heard of these black tomatoes.
Are they good? Taste good I mean??
How big do they get? I have had yellow ones, that everyone used to rave about,
I didn't like them, not a lot of taste to me. I like my tomatoes acidy, know you are eating one!!!!
Does everyone eat tomatoe sandwiches, or is that just a southern thing??
Thank you, all you growers of maters,( I do love this forum :D )
Joan Bunge
Rutledge, Georgia
P/S I'd send pictures if I could figure out how!@!

LoreD

Hi,

Black tomatoes are usually listed under purple tomatoes. They are usually a very deep purple-black. There are a few that are true black tomatoes like Carbon tomatoes.

They usually have a strong smoky-salty taste. These tomatoes have repeatedly won taste contests. My neighbour at the community garden is a fan of black tomatoes, especially Black from Tula. I give away a large amount of tomato seedlings each year and the ones that are most popular are the black tomatoes. This year I almost didn't get any for myself because everyone wanted them.

My personal favorites are the green tomatoes that never turn red. They are super-sweet and taste like fruit. Emerald Evergreen tastes like a Kiwi.

My sister is a fan of purple beefsteaks and my brother-in-law loves orange oxhearts so different people have different tastes.

Try the black tomatoes. Every year I go to work with a six color tomato salad. The different flavors are very interesting.

LoreD

bunge

Thank you for the tasting samples!! Next year I'll be sure to get some of these purple and black jewels!!
I've been adding more stakes to my "babies" today. They are getting so fat and tall and heavy with fruit...
At first I cut the sucker branches off and potted them at the beginning of the growing season, now they have just about caught up to their mom and dad's! I had to start a whole new garden spot just for them. We have gardens all over our yard now.
A good size one in the back yard with corn, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers that are growing way up into a wind mill and zennias and hollie hocks. Then a 14' X 16' baby garden in what used to be a flower bed in our front yard, full of huge tomato plants, one egg plant, okra, peppers and squash. This front yard garden must love all the sun it gets, it's like a jungle in there now. I have tomatoes staked and in cages too, even had to stake my peppers and egg plant!!
Oh, then we have the sucker tomato garden, that I planted in front of a fence just to see what they would do, they have gone wild too! and the tumbler tomatoes are now hanging in baskets on this fence, on the back side.
We also have container gardens on our deck, 4 crook neck yellow squash plants in a fire pit , some corn and taters , just to see if it would grow on the deck. If I could figure out how to add pictures, I'd post some.
My gardens have gone wild!!!!
:shock:

LoreD

I'm really envious that you are able to grow so many vegetables so close to the house. It would be really nice to be able to walk out and harvest the veggies.

I have four plots at a community garden. I grow corn, cabbages, asian vegetables, carrots, lettuce, root veggies, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash, pumpkins, beans, cukes, melons, and watermelons. I would like to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I never seem to be able to get them in the ground before it gets to hot.

Its been a long road from five years ago when I was a newbie that had never grown anything.

I'm so eager for the first tomato of summer.

LoreD

bunge

How are your gardens doing up there in Chicago? Yes, I love having my gardens right out my door and can't imagine having to go someplace to work in them. I want all my stuff right here, the closer the better! Mine are doing very well this year, better than usual, even with very little rain.
I have corn that is about ready to pick, we have been eating tomatoes for 2 weeks. Eating cucumbers, squash, eggplant and okra too. Does every one eat tomato sandwiches like we do in Georgia? so good, with a slice of Vidalia onion on it!!
Going out now to stake up 2 mater plants that are trying to get away.
j bunge

LoreD

Everything is coming along very well here. I'm a bit behind you here. Some of my tomatoes are full size but still green. The cucumber plants are still recovering from the night sneak attack by some deer. They are under protection now. The melon plants are flowering. Peppers are starting to turn color and eggplants still have a little ways to go. I have been harvesting a lot of the asian veggies, lettuce, chard, and have started to replant for more harvest. They also have gone under the shade cloth. I'm hoping for some summer squash soon.

My family originally came from the northern part of Mississippi so I am very familiar with "mater sandwiches" and being able to eat a tomato with nothing but a shaker of salt.

Actually it has been one of the better years for gardening.

Keep me posted on how your garden is coming along. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will try show you some pictures of the black tomatoes.

LoreD

bunge

Good morning,
I found, on one of the old post on this site, how to post pictures. :D
Go to UploadIt.org and put your pictures there, then you can add them to this site. I haven't tried it yet but am planning to when I have time to play with it. Used to sell on ebay a lot and had to download pictures on their site, probably about the same ....We have a lot of deer here too but no problems so far, I think they are going across the street from us. They have a pond in their back yard. So the deer drink over there and eat their garden!!
I would love to see pictures of your gardens. Maybe between the 2 of us , we can figure out how to do it.
later gater,
j bunge

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”