lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Sweet 100

I have two Sweet 100 cherry tomato plants that are growing like crazy, with a good bit of fruit and blossoms. These are great to eat right off the vine. They have already outgrown my cages. What do I do now?

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010May/G2010046.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You can let them flop back down the outside of the cage or do some pruning. I often stop eating the cherries when other tomatoes come on line and sometimes find myself doing some heavy pruning, even cutting away some fruit bearing vines. They grow back.

Organic4Life

My Sweet 100's are doing the exact same thing... over head-high now.

Run a 9' or 10' stake right down the middle of the cage and begin tying it off as it continues to grow more.

Worked for me... :)

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am not sure what I am going to do. I do not want them to "tower" over the rest of the garden, so I might just let them droop over and head back down. I have never seen as much growth as my two plants this year have. Will make some great salad fixin' if they will just get ripe.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I'd pinch some suckers from the plant and root them. As soon as roots form, replace the tall plants with the new ones.

EG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”