StephAnneRainey
Newly Registered

How long does it take tomatoes to ripen?

OK, my tomatoes (Cherokee Purple, Roma & Honey Bunch) are thriving and blooming. I've even got small green tomatoes on the Honey Bunch. How long before they turn red and are ready to pick? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Stephanie
Dayton, TX

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hard to answer because it depends not only on the variety but the weather and conditions, water, fertilizing etc. But they will not start to ripen until they have reached full size. And then it's probably at least a couple more weeks.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Under good conditions the average big beefsteak rated at 75-80 DTM (days to maturity) takes around 55 days from the time the flower drops until you can eat it. Unfortunatesly it gets into the range of full size in about half that time so you think it should be turning red when it is far from ready. What I mean by that is a variety like CP, which ranges from 10-16 oz or more will hit 8-10 oz pretty quickly (and you think it is big enough) and then when it is around near size it still has to sit around for a while for the insides to mature seeds etc before it decides to ripen.

My rule of thumb is to take the DTM listed on the package or vender website, subtract 20-25 days and it will get you in the ball park for when you can start watching for color change. But you have to know when the flower dropped and the pea-sized fruit is was first seen.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

StephAnneRainey wrote:OK, my tomatoes (Cherokee Purple, Roma & Honey Bunch) are thriving and blooming...
Out of 12+ different varieties of tomatoes that I am growing this year, the Cherokee Purple was the first to set fruit ... even quicker than the Early Girl hybrid tomatoes.

Ahhh, the anticipation of having some that are ripe and ready to eat :D ... it will be a while yet :(

StephAnneRainey
Newly Registered

I can see the little baby Romas & Cherokee Purples. Pin head size. As far as the Honey Bunch, I've got little green marbles. Sigh...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”