scot29
Cool Member

staking question

This is probably a stupid question, but why do we have to heavily prune when using the stake & tie method? Just to cut down on the weight, right? Even using an 8' 2"X2" stake driven 1.5-2' into the ground? Maybe two stakes would work w/o pruning?
I won't use my 4' cages anymore (by themselves), so I need to figure out a good support system. I read TZ's sticky, which was very helpful. I'd like to use 5-6' CRW to make cages, but I'm having trouble finding anything with holes big enough to reach into. 4"X2" is the biggest I can find.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Later in the season the plant sort of gets away from you when trying to hold more than 3-4 vines to a single stake. Its hard to get the vines close to the stake where the weight can be supported and so vines start to slip and slump under the weight of fruit.

If I wanted to grow one big plant and all I had were stakes I would probably sink in 3 stakes, but when you put out a line of plants and stakes at the beginning of the season you are more or less forced to make things fit or deal with the mess.

If you do plan to tie a lot of vines to a single stake you might want to use a bow tie on the twine in case you have to loosen it and retie as the vines get larger. Also, pay attention to where the flower trusses are when you tie off. I always seem to end up with fruit growing under a string and/or caged in by vines (fruit between the stake and vines).

farmerlon
Green Thumb

scot29 wrote:... I'd like to use 5-6' CRW to make cages, but I'm having trouble finding anything with holes big enough to reach into...
I bought a big roll of "farm fence" (cattle fence) wire at the local Tractor Supply store (or Home Depot, can't remember now), and made tomato cages from that. The roll that I got is 5' tall, and it has 6" openings in the wire... no problem reaching in.
(I think the roll was 150 feet long, I can't remember now)

It looks somewhat similar to the Concrete Reinforcing Wire, but it's galvanized, and maybe even a little more "stout". These cages should last me a lifetime! :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”