sciencegal

weather can be challenging

We had a forecast for 26 degrees during the night so I covered everything, not that I haven't been covering the tomatoes every night anyway since the nighttime temps have been hovering near 34. Days go up to 80.

Thermometer showed exactly 26 this morning. Two tomatoes are completely dead as well as the top of another. I hope that one may come back. These plants were covered with heavy blankets over a large, heavy plastic pot that was not touching the plant. Other tomatoes of different varieties right next to the them are fine. I guess this is a good way to find out which varieties are more cold sensitive. :(

Gardening at 7300 feet altitude is a challenge.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's terrible sorry to hear. I hope everything turns out for you. Sounds like you are having a crazy time with the temperature swings.

Hopefully it will all work itself out here soon for you. The nations weather is all screwed up right now. I am getting the south west weather and they are getting my weather.

soil
Greener Thumb

I guess this is a good way to find out which varieties are more cold sensitive. Sad
at least your thinking positive, and that is a good thing to look for. save seed over the years and you will have plants hardy or hardier to your area. I have to deal with cold springs with late frosts and HOT summers with no rain at all. saving seed over and over has helped more than anything thats for sure.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

sciencegal wrote:We had a forecast for 26 degrees during the night so I covered everything, not that I haven't been covering the tomatoes every night anyway since the nighttime temps have been hovering near 34. Days go up to 80.
Gosh, and I was complaining about the few times that I had to cover my Tomato plants, back in April. :oops:
I see that you've got it a lot tougher than me ... I hope your season improves soon.

One thing I will change next year ... I am going to stagger my Tomato transplant production more. That way, I should still have plants to put in the garden "early", and more plants to put in the garden later (after all frost danger has passed). With that plan, I should have a lot less covering to do on the cold nights.

applestar
Mod

Wow and I thought 30º temp differential was bad.
Do you get your seeds from Seeds of Change? I've liked their catalog for a long time, but sadly decided to stick to my own local geographic/climatic areas for seed nursery sourcing.

sciencegal

I'm also going to stagger my plantings next year or just start them later. The young plants were getting so leggy I went ahead and put them out and covered every night. Then I stupidly gave away all the extras. The tomatoes grow so fast I don't think I need to start them 8 to 10 weeks before the last frost date which here is the first week of June. I think they would handle transplanting better if they are smaller anyway.

I get my seeds from Territorial. A friend of mine who lives near here but at an even higher altitude has been successfully gardening for about 8 years. I'm going to get tomato seeds from her for next year. Although, she lost quite a few tom's in this last freeze as well.

Since I only have (had) 6 tomato plants, I lost half my crop. :cry:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”