sauer12
Newly Registered

moving tomato plants

I have two grape tomato plants that have been in the ground for about six weeks. They are good size (two or two-and-a-half feet tall) but are are being shaded over by a MONSTER Big Boy and I fear that they are not getting enough light.
There was another posting that said it was okay to move plants that have flowered from pot to ground, but can I move from one part of the garden to another? (How big is the root system?)

Thanks!

Chris
Last edited by sauer12 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

decam0

Are they flowering and setting fruit? If so, it might be best to leave them where they are, if they look as if they're suffering in the shade, maybe you should try moving them.
Dig the new ground first, putting in some compost and fertilizer, dig the holes and put water in them up to the surface (then the plants will have access to plenty of water at the roots). Allow the water to seep away into the ground.
Water the tomato plants well before you dig them up so that the soil stays with the roots. Put each one in a bucket or wrap in cloth to stop the soil falling off.
Put your support stake in the hole.
Plant the tomato plants a bit deeper than before - up to the first set of leaves (they will make new roots on the stem that's below soil level and this will help to stabilize them).
Heel in gently and keep well watered until established...and good luck!
Delia

decam0

Ooops...missed the root system size question.

Hmmm...difficult one. I should just be on the generous side and dig wide and deep. They surely can't be that extensive if they've only been in six weeks?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”