ozark_rocks

Suckers

Last years blight nearly wiped out my tomato patch. I had eight arkansas travelers that lived till frost, but everything else died. :evil: Also a few years back hail killed all of my tomatoes. So this year I've been rooting suckers . I hope I don't need them, but want to have some spares, just in case. :)

kimbledawn

Hey, great minds think alike! Here are mine!

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/suckerssm.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/suckers2sm.jpg[/img]

I don't know what I can do with these plants. There isn't any room left to plant.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I still have a few myself. They keep ending up in pots though. Still thinking about putting at least one more in the ground.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

ozark_rocks wrote:Last years blight nearly wiped out my tomato patch. I had eight arkansas travelers that lived till frost, but everything else died. :evil: Also a few years back hail killed all of my tomatoes. So this year I've been rooting suckers . I hope I don't need them, but want to have some spares, just in case. :)
Please explain the process for rooting suckers.

Kimbledawn, are yours from seed or suckers?

ozark_rocks

Please explain the process for rooting suckers.

Kimbledawn, are yours from seed or suckers?[/quote

I go to the base of the plant and cut off one of the extra shoots growing at ground level, then I put it in a cup of water in the kitchen window. In about 3 or 4 days roots start to form. Its that easy. In about a week to ten days they have enough roots to plant. After planting, keep the soil moist for about a week. I like suckers because you can root big ones and have larger plants fairly quick. :D

ozark_rocks

kimbledawn wrote:Hey, great minds think alike! Here are mine!

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/suckerssm.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/suckers2sm.jpg[/img]

I don't know what I can do with these plants. There isn't any room left to plant.

:wink: You have some good looking suckers. I'm out of room too, but don't want to be short on tomatoes again. I told the DH that I was going to start digging holes in the yard, but really considering putting them between my rows of cabbage and califlower.

kimbledawn

These were all overgrown suckers on my plants. I just couldn't throw them away so I put them in smaller pots with moist potting soil and sat them in a shady spot. In about seven days they already had tiny roots and no longer drooped. I don't know what to do with them because we have 17 plants in one bed, 3 in another and two in another bed. We also have 4 in 5 gallon buckets. :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Kimble where there is a will there is a way. You could give them to friends or family. If worst comes to worst, I admittedly had to toss a few, the compost is the next best thing soil and all. Than they won't be going to waste, they will end up food for the next go 'round.

jmoore

I've got some rather large ground level "suckers" too. I may just have to steal this idea and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work, I'll be happy to take a few off your hands :P

farmerlon
Green Thumb

ozark_rocks wrote: I go to the base of the plant and cut off one of the extra shoots growing at ground level, then I put it in a cup of water in the kitchen window. In about 3 or 4 days roots start to form. Its that easy. In about a week to ten days they have enough roots to plant. After planting, keep the soil moist for about a week. I like suckers because you can root big ones and have larger plants fairly quick. :D
That's what I love about this place ... learn something new every day!
I am going to have to try that (rooting suckers).

Brandywinegirl

Wow!!! Just clipped some off and tossed them. Not anymore - thanks!!!
:D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”