applestar
Mod

NOW what am I going to do?

I've had a couple of tomato starts in pots inside WOWs for the past week -- the weather has been way too up and down, mostly down. :(
I can't plant until I get a support system set up -- I'm experimenting and the design hasn't "gelled" if you know what I mean. So I've been procrastinating. We've got one more 45º low tomorrow night, then all should be good, so I'm really late.

ANYHOW. I peeked inside the WOWs to check on them and water after a hot day, and in one of them, right next to the pot of Polish Cream Sausage, there is a potato leafed volunteer growing! :shock:

Now a potato-leaf can easily be a seed from past Brandywine. We had beautiful big and tasty pink tomatoes from a volunteer that grew up in the middle of the strawberry patch last year.

So, move the PCS to another location and let the volunteer grow? Yeah, most likely, right? 8)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found several volunteers from last year's tomatoes. They were in the peas and garlic. I transplanted them. To another spot in the same bed. They mostly survived the transplant. Then I transplanted some inside started ones of the same seeds (saved) and they are not doing as well as the volunteers that I moved. Mine aren't even heirlooms, they were hybrids, so who knows what these will be!

Personally, I try hard to save volunteers, they have to be hardy to make it all on their own.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would dig up the Brandywine so that I could plant it deeper for better stability and root development.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is a hard one Apple. It is a potato leaf and like you say probably a Brandywine. Keeping it would be nice. If the PCS will take the transplant give it a go. Mystery plants are always. nice.

Not sure how many 100's of tomatoes I have ripped out this year. There are still a bunch all over the place that and all the mystery curcubits. I am saving a few just to see what they are. Maybe you should too with this one. It seem like that is what you want to do.

Much luck with whatever you do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have always had volunteer tomatoes and squash coming up where ever I put compost in planting holes. But somehow last year, what with doing all this reading on THG and learning so much, my warm to cool compost suddenly decided to start cooking, giving off steam and everything! This year no volunteers (at least so far and I think I would have had by now).

I miss all the volunteers! All the squash I ate last year were volunteers (the planted ones all got root borer and died).

tedln
Super Green Thumb

See Applestar, my volunteers know how to find a fence line and space themselves properly. Yours seem to look for WOW's to grow in. Pile some soil around the stem and let it grow.

Ted

applestar
Mod

:lol: I was thinking the same :lol: Clever buggers, aren't they?
Piling soil around the stem is a great idea!

I got the tomato support system together and it'll do for the time being.

Now, I'm hanging out in front of the computer after arranging the tomato starts in the allotted space, procrastinating again before planting.... I still have quite a few plants -- I think I overplanted the seeds.... :roll: The remaining plants will involve extra work either because they're still in community pots and need to be planted or separated and uppotted. For any more to be planted, I'll have to sheet mulch some new beds. :bouncey:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Decisions, decisions!!!

Your post made me smile, as I'm usually the same way, planning or not - still get much procrastination... Sit and often think - better here for these, or should be planted over there...

As for volunteer PL, if you let that one be, that means - you need to find another place for the sausage, hmmm :wink:

Just plant them all and call it a day! :flower:

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”