JCinSeattle
Newly Registered

Is a tomato w/a broken main stem viable?

While planting my tomatoes I accidentally broke the main stem of one. I've left it in place so far and it remains otherwise healthy. Will it send up a new stem?? Will it fruit? Or should I just remove it and plant a new one? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If it just collapsed and kinked you can make a splint with three small sticks and some tape or string. The stem should harden up and heal itself in a while, but you have to watch that the tape/string doesn't bind into the stem as it grows.

If it is snapped open/off then you could try to root the top in some water or wet soil and the bottom part will send up a sucker form a leaf axil, including from any leaves you removed when deep planting.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I had a big, healthy tomato plant that hadn't been caged yet. Dragged the hose across it and broke the top clean off. I immediately stripped all but the upper most leaf growth and stuck the plant in a one gallon container of potting soil, watered the plant, and place in semi shade. The salvaged top never wilted, and should be ready to plant in the ground in a couple of weeks. If you have a bit of green stem, then IMO there is a chance that the plant will put back out from the root. My plant broke off even with the root ball. In that situation I don't think that there is any hope.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had some of my leggy tomato seedlings that snapped off just a little ways above the soil. I just through them in a wheelbarrow to dispose of later and didn't pay any attention to them. The next week they had new shoots sprouting from the roots. ... I threw them away anyway, because I had already planted as many unbroken ones as I needed, so it's not a miraculous rescue, but it is a sign that they can do it.

JCinSeattle
Newly Registered

I appreciate all the suggestions...thanks. Unfortunately, the top snapped off cleanly and I tossed it in the compost. Only the bottom part remains, and it appears healthy enough, but I'm not yet seeing any regrowth action. Fortunately, I've planted enough tomatoes that I can live without any fruit from this one. Perhaps I'll leave it where it is as a test case and just see what happens over the summer. If I can remember to do so, I'll report in on the outcome.

Among the other tomatoes that still have their tops is one I bought that's labeled an heirloom tomato. I bought it solely for its name: Mr. Stripey. I so envy the person whose job it is to name these things. Mr. Stripey...a stroke of brilliance.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

My only tomato plant left is a Mr. Stripey. Supposed to be ugly fruit(brown and purple), but very tasty. Yours will be set back alittle from the stress but it will recover and set fruit.

Janabeth
Newly Registered

The next time that happens try planting it on its side with soil, it'll grow roots up the entire stem. I had one that was left out during a Houston flooding rain and it grew tubelures up the stem didn't know what it was, till another gardener told me about it

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Absolutely, they make side shoots, you probably won't even notice the difference come harvest time. It will only be set back a little... IME.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”