Zapatay

Tomato transplant planting suggestions

Our last frost date is approaching (yes, I take that date very seriously) and I have a few transplants in the garage waiting to be set.

I've read of an approach of laying them on their side so that there is more of a root system to support a large plant.

I've read to dig about a 18" diameter - 8 inches deep and then "hill" the plant ....

I have some tomato fertilizer and a few bags of garden soil in the garage waiting for the end of this month to plant my peppers and toms.

Suggestions on the best way to do this? I'd really really really like enough tomatoes to get me thru the summer of salsas, pico de gallo and guacamole.

applestar
Mod

Are you going to be expecting drought conditions later on? Shallow side-ways planting leaves the roots susceptible to drought. But, if you're expecting flooding conditions, shallower planting would keep them from drowning.

On the other hand, deep planting sets the roots in the deeper COLDER soil, especially if you're jumping the gun right on the last frost date, which might set them back, but they'll withstand drought later on.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What is best depends on the size of your plant. If it is the normal size for transplanting (6"-12" tall) with a lose rootball then removing the lowest leaf and planting up to the base of the second leaf is pretty standard for getting quick establishment (make hole depth accordingly). Mounding is not a usual practice. If you have a leggy plant then slant trench it with the root ball starting at 6"-8" deep or so (for temperature and soil moisture considerations). Rootbound plants will put out roots from the stem out of necessity so may benefit from planting a little more of the stem underground, I have not found this to be the case with seedlings given more root room. With them, 3-4 inches of stem in the ground is good enough for stability. Some people with short growing seasons swear by starting plants early and then trench planting the large-leggy plants. But most of us don't have to go to those extremes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”