bongo37

roma not growing

my roma tomato plant seems to be growing really weak, specialy compared to my patio and green zebra tomatos planted at the same time and used same fertalizer. the plant is not dieing but has one maybe two flowers seems a little wilty compared to the healthy looking other tomato plants with flowers and some baby tomatos allready growing.

GardenJester

could be bacterial wilt. do you have yellowing leafs at lower part of the plant? Stunted growth is early symptom of bacterial wilt.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

A couple of other things to do. Take a sharp stick and poke it in the ground around the plant to see if a mole or gopher tore up the roots while tunneling under the plant, and look around the base of the plant for a small hole (1/8'-1/4") usually with what looks like sawdust near it. This would be from a vine borer worm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are there vine borers that attack tomatoes? I never heard of that. I always lose my zucchini to them, but the squash vine borers won't even attack non-squash cucurbitae like melons and cucumbers, much less nightshade plants.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, but I think they are the same species as the ones that attack corn. From what I understand (but I could be wrong) they can get their start in other plants (weeds) and then migrate over to larger plants when they outgrow the weed stem. You can stick pins in the tomato stem or make a slit with an exacto knife/razor blade to try and kill them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”