jphho
Newly Registered

broken cucumber stem

I have a cucumber plant about 6weeks old and the stem has been broken. Will it heal togerther to be strong enough to stand by it self by placing a splint on the side of the stem. I don't want to loose the plant as it has taken me 8 1st time triles to bring up the plant from collected seeds. Any and all advice appreciated.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jphho,

Welcome to the forum. You would probably have the best luck getting an answer to your question if it were posted to the growing vegetables forum instead of the growing tomatoes forum.

I do grow cucumbers also and must admit I've never tried splinting a broken main stem on a cucumber. I don't think you have much chance of saving it with a splint, but if your going to lose it anyhow, there is no reason not to try.

I grow a lot of cucumbers and always lose a few for different reasons. I seem to feel worse when I lose a valued tomato plant. I wish you good luck with your cucumber plant.

Out of curiosity, are you gardening in Jersey in the Channel Islands or New jersey in the United States?

Ted

jphho
Newly Registered

Ted,

Thankyou for your reply. In regards to the stem. It isn't broken as into two but more damaged and at the moment if I let tit stand by it self the stem would give in and this is what I am wondering if I place a splint on the side of the stem will it grow to strength again.

I am in Jersey Channel Islands.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

A support for the main stem is a good idea. I have seen "wounds" heal in plants if given a chance. Be very careful as you install it to prevent further breakage. Don't tie string tightly around the young stem because the stem will want to grow in diameter after it heals.

I don't know how large your stem is in diameter, but a small section of rubber water hose or surgical tubing split up the side and placed around the stem may do the job. You can put sticky tape around the hose/tubing after it is installed.

You may also use a paper or foam cup by cutting a hole in the bottom slightly larger than the stem, slitting the cup up one side, and placing it upside down around the stem. Close the slit in the cup with tape and place soil around the bottom of the cup to hold it in place. Good luck.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”