hardland

My first and biggest tomato didn't make it..

I'm growing a Purple Russian Tomato plant. The first tomato I noticed got to be a good size, then this morning I noticed the whole bottom half was mushy and almost hollow. I did notice some BER on this tomato a few weeks ago, so I tretaed with BER Spray, Calcium, every seven days. I probably have about 20 decent size fruit on the plant now and the majority seem to be BER free. If I see a fruit with BER, should I pick and discard it, someon mentioned that the fruit is still edible, just cut off the rotten part?? It's 89 degrees in the shade down here in FL already, it may just be too hot..

hardland

Any suggestions ??

GardenJester

once you spot the BER on a fruit, it's probably a write off. You might as well just cut it off to save the energy for other unaffected fruit. The calcium treatment will only prevent BER on other fruits, it's not likely to cure it on a fruit that already show signs of it.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hardland,

I've lost some tomatoes to BER in the past that were the first on my spring tomato plant. Ber usually hits my earliest tomatoes more than later fruit to set. I've always pulled them and composted them and started watching the next biggest tomato. By getting rid of the bad tomato you may be improving the remaining fruit.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”