mmk1982
Newly Registered

When to plant tomato seedlings?

I started my tomato seedlings the middle of Feb. They are 6+ inches with numerous true leaves. I had planned on planting them out last weekend, but there was a high risk of severe weather (wind, hail) so I waited. Then it got cold at night, so I waited again. Well now Sat-Mon it is supposed to rain close to 6 inches and with the rain from last weekend the ground will be quite saturated.

Should I go ahead and plant or will this be too much stress for my seedlings?

GardenJester

It depends on where you are. Google last frost date for your local area. You can gamble and plant the seedling no more than 2 weeks before that date. I wouldn't recommend it, I took the gamble last week and now my seedlings are dead due to the frost.

mmk1982
Newly Registered

We are nearly two weeks past that date. I know we won't get another frost. I was just more worried about my plants literally drowning if we get another 4-6 inches of rain on top of the 2ish from last weekend.

Edited to add I live in Middle TN zone 6b I believe.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's always a dilemma.... yes, 4-6 more (!) inches of rain will be a stress on your plants. Depends on how good your drainage is. If that amount of rain means they will be sitting in puddles, don't do. If you can put them in raised beds with excellent drainage and keep any standing water away from the plants and roots, maybe ok. The dilemma part is that it gets harder and harder to keep them going under lights as they get bigger. My tomatoes went out early this year, because they were getting way too tall and leggy indoors. Seemed to have survived our last couple near-freezing events.

So if they seem ok where they are and you are worried about standing water, keep them in a bit more. Otherwise go for it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”