malkore
Cool Member

One or two plants wilting while hardening off

Its close to planting time (finally) so I've been putting all my seedlings outside during the day, gradually increasing time and sun exposure.

One or two of the 7 tomatoes, and a couple peppers, keep wilting terribly, while the rest of the plants look good.

I know the wind will wick extra water from the plant...so when I see the wilting do I just water and bring back inside a few hours or what? Some of my tomatoes might be a little leggy (this is my first year gardening for real).

I also left one bucket tomato and a cantaloupe outside last night and they look no worse the wear for it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's odd why just a couple are more wilty, but it sounds like you are doing everything right. You are right about just watering, giving them a chance to rest in a protected place and they will likely perk back up.

malkore
Cool Member

/sigh

last night it poured rain here...nearly 2 inches in 90 minutes.

I left the plants out but pulled them against the house under the eves. That woulda been fine except the gutter clogged and the water ran over the edge and beat all my plants to a pulp. my tomatoes are bent in half, but nothing looks visibly 'snapped' so I'm hoping they will recover.

the peppers are semi ravaged but in much better shape due to being shorter.

:roll: :evil:

Gutter repair guys called today.

malkore
Cool Member

well the sun's out today and the plants seem to be no worse for the wear of last night's mini-waterfall. Live and learn!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes amazing what plants can survive! Glad to hear they made it; you've obviously been doing your best to care well for them.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

malkore wrote:so I've been putting all my seedlings outside during the day, gradually increasing time and sun exposure.

One or two of the 7 tomatoes, and a couple peppers, keep wilting terribly, while the rest of the plants look good.
What are the transplants potted in, "peat pots"?
If so, I have found that those wick away a lot of moisture, especially when they're outside in the sun & wind.
Also, if the peat pots are the "connected" type, with 12 or so containers made together (like a small tray)... the pots on the ends tend to shed mositure quicker than those in the middle.

I was using some peat pots for a while. But, I found that I always tore off the pot at planting time. Finally, one day, I asked myself... "what the heck are you doing?" :? If I don't plant the pots in the ground anyway, then why not just use styrofoam cups for my transplants?
So, I made the switch to styro cups, and that works much better for me. Plus, the styro cups are cheaper, reuseable, and they don't wick away the moisture.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”