Zaxsta

Cherry Tomatoes - How Long to Ripen?

So, despite many a search, I can't find some basic answers. What I'm looking for are empirical generalizations - that is, things that aren't always true but seem to hold true most of the time. In other words, tell me what you have concluded from personal experience!

1. How long does it take cherry tomatoes to ripen from blush?

2. Once the cherry tomatoes have turned their final color, how long does it take them to ripen?

I'm assuming that "ripe" does not equal "final color." From what I have read, there should be a slightly squishy feel to ripe tomatoes that other full-colored tomatoes might not have.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

#1 = roughly a week, maybe 10 days. If the weather is cool, might take 2 weeks.

#2 = Maybe 2 to 3 days. I rarely wait until my cherry tomatoes get even slightly "squishy." I prefer to pick them when they are still somewhat firm. Just my preference. They will ripen further after I harvest them.

Zaxsta

So...the ones on the left have started blushing? Looks like it, but I'm not sure.

[img]https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7189/photo6tt.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I usually consider "blushing" to be when the fruit just begins to show some orangish/reddish color. The ones in your pic on the left aren't quite there yet, IMO. They'll need another week or two, I think, before they reach the blush stage. It might happen faster if your weather is nice and warm. JMO. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”