Kelsey Jane

indeterminate cherry tomatoes

Hey all,

Just wondering if it would be o.k to grow some indeterminate cherry tomatoes in pots. I understand often indeterminate varieties need more space but I'm wondering if I could get away with potting some of the smaller varieties.
I am growing:

Patio Orange,Lollipop,Black Cherry,Pink Ice Cherry & Bonner cherry. The Bonner is classified as "semi- determinate" I'm not sure what that means.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks so much! :P

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cherry tomatoes are all I grow, and I always grow them in containers. I much prefer the indeterminate types, because the fruit is produced over a longer period of time.

I prefer staking my plants, as opposed to using tomato cages, but either way works fine. I use pots that are about 14" in diameter, and equally deep. I grow my tomatoes outdoors.

Kelsey Jane

Thank goodness! I wouldn't have room for them all in my bed and would be crushed if I had to part with any of them :shock:

Thanks Kisal! I can sleep tonight :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Tomato plants in containers get stunted by water and nutrients stress, usually in relation to the size of the container. Because cherrys only need to support small fruit production is not affected as much as wilth larger fruited varieties. However, if possible I would give your Black Cherry the best possible conditions as it is one of the best flavored varieties available and will grow into a very large plant if you let it.

Semi determinant means that fruit set initially occurs on the branch tips as with determinants, but then new growth appears and you can get a second crop.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just make sure you have big pots 5 gallon or bigger, I would suggest 10 gallon if you can swing that. If you don't have that size maybe ask around at local nursery's. the ones around me are happy to give them away since they have huge piles of them.

I don't know about the others personally but the Black Cherry seems to be very productive so as TZ said take good care of them. All of my Black Cherry seedlings had fruit on them a few weeks ago. I started them in mid Feb. I have one that should have ripe fruit in a week or so I hope. If it ever warms up that is. They are way ahead of all my other starts.

Good luck

and don't forget to fertilize in pots a lot more than you would in the ground.

Kelsey Jane

Thanks TZ & gixxerific!

My next question was if I have space what plant would benefit more in the ground. You answered it :D I'm definitely going to baby that black cherry tomato. I started three of them so I will also gift one to my dad who has a ton of space in his garden. And I will make sure to keep up on fertilizing my container plants!

Thanks again everyone!

Kels

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”