GardenJester

well... :cry: all my zuke and toms killed by the frost. I guess it's a small comfort that it was only a small test batch, and I still have backups.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Sorry to hear, but as you said, at least it was only a few!

Amazing how we go from 30F at night and 60F during the day into 75F at night and 93F during the day!!!

So my total loss was 4 tomato plants, all were covered. But the odd thing, about a month ago, I set in the ground Rutgers, one plant, was not in the plans to keep it, merely used the packet of seeds to test germination in specific soil-less mix. The plant is now over 3' tall, and I had nothing to cover it with. So it stayed in the open that night...

Not a single leaf with the frost bite!!! Hardy little plant! Granted, it is protected from 2 sides (garage and raised bed with tall garlic right beside it), but still, no frost bite? And no blossom drop? Come on :roll:

Most of the tomatoes are in the ground as of today, peppers go in tomorrow, just wish we had an overcast day - not a chance though!!!

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have rain all weekend here...

I didn't lose a single thing to our two nights of near frost (the NEAR probably making the difference), even the two squash plants that were already in the ground seem fine.

Zapatay

We've been blessed with sunny warm days (70's) and rain at night. I'm so tempted to put out my peppers and tom plants but am worried mother nature will dip, once again.

I feel awful hearing you lost plants - Are you starting from scratch or do you have other ones growing under lights?

Anywho - temps should be average and no reference to frost... perhaps I"ll take my chances and put some out .....

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Weather is weird. Last week Duh_Vinci was concerned about protecting his plants from frost in Virginia. This week in North Texas, they are already forecasting temps in the low 90's. I will need to protect some of my plants from the heat. Oh well, I guess the tomatoes will go into a growth spurt now. I am looking forward to that.

Many of my tiny little heirlooms and hybrids have already set a few small fruit. I think the plants that truly amaze me are the Brandywine. Simply germinating from seed, they took off like they were in a race with all the other plants to grow largest, fastest. They have started blooms and the blooms are huge for tomato blooms. I've had some concerns about the Brandywines not producing many blooms and not setting much fruit, but I think they will be okay. I am giving them a little shake to help pollination along daily.

Ted

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Weird - yeah, that's the "least" I can say at the moment...

Tonight - changed from 44, to 41, to 39 and now 36!!! And again, that means I will have frost on the ground. By now - plants are too big for containers to be covered with (except few newer seedlings)...

I did cover what I could, mostly cukes and squash (very young seedlings), but aside from that - I'll have to hope and pray! And the odd part is - today, is what considered to be the absolute date with no chances of frost, Mother's day. All locals usually would plant everything out this weekend...

Oh well... Will see...

Regards,
D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Kinda frustrating ain't it Duh_Vinci?

Ted................ :o

Decado
Green Thumb

I understand your frustration, we had the first march and april without snow for the first time in over a hundred years and only had about 3 frosts throughout both months. Then, the first weekend of may we get snow (can't remember the last time we had snow in may) and frost one night and frost the next night. Luckily I only lost the tops of my tomatoes poking through the wall'o'waters and all my seedlings (sunflowers, peas, spinach, swiss chard, kohlrabi) survived. Although even though my kohlrabi survived the frost it was all eaten by something later that morning. :x

On a side note, because of this stupid warm then cold weather, my fern garden was completely wiped out, which wouldn't have happened normally because they'd just be barely poking out of the ground as opposed to 2 feet tall. Stupid indecisive MN weather.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ohhh.... that's really sad. A fern garden sounds lovely and much harder to replace than say tomato seedlings. So sorry!

applestar
Mod

Ohh. I agree. So sorry to hear of your troubles, Decado -- including the Kohlrabi!

In my garden, the ferns are completely confused as well. I ended up barely picking the Ostrich fern fiddles this spring, because they were hardly up one day, then a few days later, they were ALL unfurling, and in another couple of days, I had knee-high ferns. :shock: I guess this year, they'll replenish, and I'll get a bumper crop next spring. :roll:

Your ferns may yet come back. I've noticed in previous years that a lot of shoots do come up later on after the first flush, especially after a good rain.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”