Rootietoot
Newly Registered

Hornworms!

Those huge tomato hornworms completely freak me out. I know they're harmless (except for the munching issues on the plants) but they're GROSS :shock:

However an entymologist friend at AU told me this: If you pick them off and mash them right under the bush, they'll emit a pheromone that warns other hornworm egg-laying moths (?) that it is A Bad Place, and over a bit of time you'll have fewer issues with them. You have to be persistent tho, one mashed worm won't do it. And you have to do it under each tomato plant. Granted, if you have 100 plants this could be tedious, but I only have 6 and it is satisfying (in a really nasty, sick kind of way) to pick them off (with tongs, I cannot touch them for it causes willies) and squish them. Sometimes I have to pay my 11 year old to do it for me. :oops:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That sounds like a good thing. BUT if I have enough hornworms to place one under each tomato plant things are already pretty bad. I had one last year. Actually a Tobacco Hornworm but it devastated an entire jalapeno plant in one day. :shock:

applestar
Mod

Don't know if I can do something like this, but how about mash in a container, add some water, strain and spray? Yumm! :o

If you'd like to de-sensitize yourself to the sight of hornworms, [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90120]here are some photos[/url] for you. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just can't get enough of photos like that Apple. The brachnoid wasp and the ladybug are tied as my favorite garden visitors of course right after the bees that is.

GardenJester

tilling your garden after growing season will kill them while they pupate, it's said to be very effective.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”