84pagirl

what is the easiest way to harden off your tomatoes?

Last year all of my tomatoe babies got singed when I put them out on a sunny day :oops: , then I had to buy tomatoe plants and they got the blight. what is the easiest way to harden off your tomatoes :?:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I put mine on my east facing porch near to the house. They get a half day of full sun and then a half day of shade to recover. I put them out a day or two after potting up because I no longer have room under lights for them.

Singeing is often from wind burn, yellow brown "acne" on the leaves is from light overload. Under low light indoors the plant loads up on chlorophyll and has minimal amounts of sugar transport enzymes, so when hit with bright light outdoors sugar backs up in the leaves and causes problems. Watering with a dilute epsom's salts solution (1 tsp/gal water) will help as will a boost in fertilizer.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have cages for my beds, and I put them in the beds, still in the trays, and cover the bed with a cloth. This lets them get used to the temps, and the wind, then I slowly start giving them sun. I just uncover them for an hour longer each day, until they no longer need the cover at all.

If you have to leave and are at work all day, you could try the removal while you are home, and when not, have different weights of cloth and just start with a heavier one, and go a bit lighter every couple of days. Or even just fold up the edges until all you have left is straight over head.

I heard of someone who put theirs under a tree, and every couple days, they moved closer to the dripline, and therefore increasing the sun to them.

Look around see where you can protect them at first, and gradually protect them less and less.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”