tedln
Super Green Thumb

Call me an optimist but,

In the spring of this year, I grew from seed and planted the following heirloom variety tomatoes. I was looking for heirloom tomatoes which would provide good size, good to great production, and great taste.

Prudens Purple (5 plants)
Brandywine Sudduth (7 plants)
Cuostralee (2 plants)
Kelloggs Breakfast (4 plants)
Mortagage Lifter (4 plants)

After I ordered the seed, other folks told me Black Krim and Cherokee Purple filled my needs perfectly. My garden space was already pretty well claimed by the seed I had ordered but I wanted to find a way to try the Black Krim and Cherokee purple this year for next years garden.

I ordered today from Gary Ibsens “Tomato Festâ€
Last edited by tedln on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

GardenJester

I would dump the B and L. Go for a straight up old fashioned tomato sandwich. two slices of rye bread, myonnise, a thick slice or two of slicing tomato. Salt and pepper.

Also, I forgot the name of the salad, but it is essentially, sliced tomato, provalone cheese slices, and balsamic vinegarite dressing.

ooops, it's called Tomato & Mozzarella salad, provalon is just a cheapo alternative. Buffalo Mozzarella would even be better.
Last edited by GardenJester on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mtmickey

Tomato slices, white cheddar cheese, bleu cheese dressing, homemade zuchini pickles all on homemade wheat sourdough bread. YUM YUM

tedln
Super Green Thumb

As many years as I have grown tomatoes, I have never eaten a "tomato" sandwich. People over the years have said "I bet you eat a lot of tomato sandwiches". Some people say eat it with nothing but salt, pepper, and mayonnaise. Others say eat it with home grown sweet onion. Others say a salad is the only way to go. I love balsamic vinegar, but it tastes so good, it kinda covers the acidic taste of a good tomato. Balsamic is good with bland tomatoes. All the different cheeses sound good, but I prefer really strong flavored cheeses and again, they would over power the tomato taste. For some reason, the combination of a hickory smoked or maple cured or Virginia cured bacon with crisp lettuce and mayonnaise on crusty artisan bread is the perfect balance. It lets the tomato stand out, but at the same time has a good balance with the bacon. I love it. As I said, everyone has slightly different taste preferences.

I know a number of people from Virginia are on this forum. A few years ago, a physician friend of mine made yearly trips to his home state of Virginia. He always returned with a big stash of what he called "Virginia Cured" bacon and ham. He always made a point of bringing me my share of the booty. That was the best meat I have ever eaten. It was cured and very dense. You sliced it so thin you could see through it and you didn't cook it. My friend has since died and he took the name of his source with him. Any of you Virginia folks know anything about the cured pork I am talking about. I need to locate it as the perfect compliment to my BLT sandwich.
:D

Ted

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ted,

Yes indeed, in VA we have some very good bacon. There is a butcher about 40min drive from us, "Wilson Farms", we usually make a trip there once a month, they call it "Slanina" Smoked and cured, with paprika and w/o... Healthy - no, delicious - YES! We usually get half a slab of each, not sliced, just slice what we need as we go, and yes indeed, no cooking needed. Absolutely the best bacon!

And stop talking about those fresh garden tomatoes!!! I have few tasteless from the store on the counter, waste of money, but really wanted some fresh tomato taste - disappointment. Can't wait for the garden fresh picked!

Regards,
D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci,

Thanks! I looked for a website for Wilson Farms Meat in Virginia. All I could find was an address and phone number in Catlett, no web page.

Does the bacon you buy have a high fat to lean ratio? The bacon/ham/shoulder my friend always brought home had almost no fat. It took a very sharp knife to slice it paper thin. It's texture was similar to slicing thin slices of cheese from a hard block of cheddar.

My friend and I would never eat much at a time because we wanted to savor it. We knew when it was gone, it was gone until his next trip home.

Yep, all this talk about the fresh veggies is driving me nuts also. My wife and I feel totally deprived. We stand in front of the veggie bins at the market looking at the tasteless but expensive tomatoes. We are simply trying to decide "should we or should we not". We usually decide on "not" to avoid the disappointment.

Every time we enter the produce area of our market, it justifies one reason I grow a garden. I calculated I grew over $200.00 worth of yellow squash last year from $1.00 worth of seed. At the market prices today, I grew about $350.00 dollars worth last year. I didn't think I would ever see the day yellow squash was selling for $2.95 per lb.

Many restaurants in our area have stopped including tomato in salads and on sandwiches because they are so expensive.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”