rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In a less technical sense N (nitrogen) promotes leaf growth and forms proteins and chlorophyll. P (phosphorus) contributes to root, flower and fruit development. K (potassium) contributes to stem and root growth and the synthesis of proteins.N (nitrogen) promotes leaf growth and forms proteins and chlorophyll. P (phosphorus) contributes to root, flower and fruit development. K (potassium) contributes to stem and root growth and the synthesis of proteins.

So for fruiting plants like tomatoes, once the plant is established and doing well, you do not want too much N, it will foster lots of big leafy growth at the expense of fruiting.

*dim*
Cool Member

I had good results last year with tomatoes by adding loads of vermicompost into my potting soil, and by foliar feeding with Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice Grow ....

I also fed them regulary with AACT ... if you don't brew AACT, iguana juice will be fine on it's own (added as a soil drench and foliar feed once a week)

lily51
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:In a less technical sense N (nitrogen) promotes leaf growth and forms proteins and chlorophyll. P
So for fruiting plants like tomatoes, once the plant is established and doing well, you do not want too much N, it will foster lots of big leafy growth at the expense of fruiting.
Good point about the nitrogen. A neighbor once ended up with tomatoes that grew to the gutter of his garage but had no tomatoes!

Magnesium is really important for tomatoes, and not all fertilizers have it, so check the label. It won't be a very high percent at all, but is necessary.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”