Gunnsa
Newly Registered

tall seedlings

My tomatoe seedlings are little over a week old and are already over 5 cm each. I was wondering if I should put them deeper in the dirt, they seem a little unsturdy being so tall.

what do you think?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

They more than likely need more light! If you plant them deeper than provide more light they should do much better :)

GardenJester

yes... more light, move the seedlings out from under the volcanic ash cloud, and couple(say... 500) miles south.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

With out a photo it is hard to tell for sure but tall plants that are not filled out are usually a sure sign they need some real sun light. Just push the soil up around the stims to hold them steady and move the plants to the sun.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would agree with the need of stronger or closer light.

You can repot them all the way up to the baby leaves. When I repot or plant in the ground I bury then DEEP! Even taken off several stems, some people bury all but a few inches but I don't go that far.

Cheryl E
Newly Registered

Yes, mine were very leggy too.. tall and fell/falling over like little worms - lesson learned for me (first time tomato seed grower) I think they need that light on them as they come up. My master-gardner/church friend.. said for me to go ahead and repot them. I did on March 26th from the little pluggy things to 3 inch peat pots.. they recovered after 3 days and started growing.. and look much, much better.

Cheryl
Hampton Roads, VA

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”