greenthumb101
Newly Registered

transplanting seedlings

My seedlings are about 1 1/2" - 2" and now the first set of true tomatoe leaves are appearing. I'm concerned they are going to get top heavy and bend over. I started them in a cardboard egg container, they get plenty of light during the day, I rotate them so they don't lean toward the light and then at night turn on a florescent light. When is the best time to transplant them? This is my first attempt at starting from seed. :D

hardland

greenthumb101 wrote:My seedlings are about 1 1/2" - 2" and now the first set of true tomatoe leaves are appearing. I'm concerned they are going to get top heavy and bend over. I started them in a cardboard egg container, they get plenty of light during the day, I rotate them so they don't lean toward the light and then at night turn on a florescent light. When is the best time to transplant them? This is my first attempt at starting from seed. :D
I am no expert and pretty new to this myself: But, I'm in FL, so started on my toms quite a bit earlier than most places. From what you stated, it seems like you have made a good start and started just like I did. From where you are now I thinned my seedlings to only one stem( if you have more than one stem growing) then when the first true leaves were established more, I replanted into 4 inch jiffy pots, using potting soil with just a pinch of bone meal. From here my plants just took off, when they got to 8-10 inches I replanted outside after leaving them outside for about a week. As you have read on here I'm sure, make sure you plant the root ball quite a bit lower in your new pot every time you re-plant. As I said, I am new to this, so I would wait for the moderator to give you proffesional advice. What I just said did get me to the point where I am now, six, six ft tall tomato plants, with blossoms, I am just battling FL heat and praying for some fruit. Good luck. :D :D
P.S What a great forum this is.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I usually transplant the seedlings once the true leafs are taken shape, and all the way up to the red line as shown here:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/820237938_9kjmy-L.jpg[/img]

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you mean transplanting them like into individual three inch pots (or something similar) I don't usually do it until they are getting their second set of true leaves. If you mean transplanting in the ground, twice that big.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Depends on nutritional status. If I dense plant many seeds in a single pot I will have to pot up at the size in the picture above because the mix runs out of nutrients and the seedlings stall near to that size (todays project). If I have less seeds and more soil per seed I might wait a little longer. I don't think I've ever waited until second set of leaves though.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”