hardland

Fish emulsion on Tomatoe plants ?

I have been spraying my Tomatoe plants once a week with a very dilute amount of fish emulsion, 1 teaspoon per gallon, early in the morning. I spray the leaves and add a little to that days water. The label says that fish emulsion is 5 nitro, 1 pottas and 1 phospur. Is this a good thing to do, or am I going to hinder the fruit production ?? Thanks

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

What you describing, sounds like a product "Alaska" - I use it, works great, but I use it on tomatoes only at the transplant time, and as a soil drench. It seems to give a great start and vigor to the young plants. Later on - I reach for a more balanced fertilizer for foliar feed, like "Aggrand" 4-3-3, or "Neptune's Harvest" 2-4-1 Once the flower buds are visible, I alternate it with foliar spray mixture of Aggrand 0-12-0 and Aggrand 0-0-8.

In "Alaska" - I believe there is plenty of nitrogen, but it lacks the balance of the other components...

Regards,
D

hardland

Duh_Vinci wrote:What you describing, sounds like a product "Alaska" - I use it, works great, but I use it on tomatoes only at the transplant time, and as a soil drench. It seems to give a great start and vigor to the young plants. Later on - I reach for a more balanced fertilizer for foliar feed, like "Aggrand" 4-3-3, or "Neptune's Harvest" 2-4-1 Once the flower buds are visible, I alternate it with foliar spray mixture of Aggrand 0-12-0 and Aggrand 0-0-8.

In "Alaska" - I believe there is plenty of nitrogen, but it lacks the balance of the other components...

Regards,
D
To clarify, do you mean you alternate the Alaska at this point?

Thanks

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Hardland,

For tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, I use Alaska only at the transplant time. Thereafter, I alternate more balanced Aggrand 4-3-3 and a mixture of Aggrand 0-12-0 and Aggrand 0-0-8 on 2 weeks rotations (and no Alaska) For example:

Week 1 (4-3-3)
Week 2 (nothing)
Week 3 (0-12-0 and 0-0-8 )
Week 4 (nothing)
Week 5 (4-3-3) and so on...

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

So maybe I should be fertilizing more, I am more of just the water and sun kind of guy. :idea:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”