TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What are your favorites?

There are a couple of threads with fairly specific questions about varieties, so I thought I would open it up a bit.

What are your favorite tomato varieties top 3-4 for each catagory so that you can include varieties for such things as flavor alone, productivity, and/or special use (sauce etc).

Catagories:

Cherry

Red and Pink

Black

Yellow/Gold

Bicolor

Green when Ripe
Last edited by TZ -OH6 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I would love to be able to contribute to the list. Unfortunately, this is my first year to grow heirlooms with the intent of comparing taste, size, productivity, disease resistance, and adaptability to climatic conditions. Another question I will keep in my mind but not put on the list is "ease of germinating". I learned that Coustralee is very finicky to germinate while Brandy Wine needs to be attacked with a baseball bat to keep it from breaking windows and knocking down doors as it germinates with enthusiasm. Ask the question at the end of the growing season and I should have some good answers for you.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I meant this thread to be an all time favorites, but I guess I initially titled it wrong, then I got laid up and didn't get back to it.

I have some favorites that came as stray seeds so I don't know what they are so I will just put my recommended varieties and skip things others won't find..

Catagories:

Cherry--

Black Cherry
White Cherry (aka snow white?)--
Pink Ping Pong --mild candy sweet taste, no acid tang

Red and Pink--

Brandywine Sudduth
Rose
Ashleigh
Red Penna
Kosovo (Pink heart)
Wes (red heart)

Black--

1) Black Krim
2) Japanese Black Trifele
Black From Tula
Cherokee Purple/Indian Stripe (do not seem to have the "black Russian" taste from the above)

Yellow/Gold--

Earl of Edgecombe (short plant, nice orange baseballs)
Kellogg's Breakfast
Aunt Gerties Gold
Juane Flamee
Orange Banana (paste)

Bicolor--

Lucky Cross
Ananas Noire

Green when Ripe--

Cherokee Green
Green Giant
Moldovan Green
Evergreen

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Big Beef or Beef master or anything with the word Beef in the name all seem to be the same. We love the flavor more than any other tomatoes and they are perfect sliceing tomatoes.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Big Beef or Beef master or anything with the word Beef in the name all seem to be the same. We love the flavor more than any other tomatoes and they are perfect sliceing tomatoes.
Regarding the Beef master, do you wrap them in bacon and grill?

Just kidding, I may have to give something with the name Beef a try. I used to be an Atkinson guy, the Rutgers I think. Settled on Better Boy and Celebrity until last year when I ordered several kinds. How many ways can you say DISASTER. I thought any tomato would taste good if grown in rich soil.....I was wrong.

I do like Brandywine heirlooms that I get from Monticello.

How 'bout we try this? I am in central Alabama, I can get rich sandy loam soil, that was an area where cows ate hay up until 4 years ago. So, what type tomatoes should I be growing for taste, longevity, early blight resistant, and fungus resistant?
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”