Zaxsta

Miami Growing Season

So, Miami gardeners...can we grow tomatoes pretty much year 'round in Miami? I've been checking out the monthly averages and records (for high and low temps) and it seems that you could pretty much grow tomatoes whenever. In pots, this would obviously be feasible because you could just bring them inside whenever there was a really cool or really hot day. The enemy would obviously be humidity and pests, but I'm not seeing any time when someone can't grow tomatoes. Throughout the year, Miami temps are in the 80-40 range, with records in the 90s and 30s. Seems pretty ideal for tomatoes. I'll be moving out there in August, and plan to start growing immediately. Am I wrong in any of this? Anyone got some tips/suggestions/would like to point out what I'm missing?

GardenJester

hurricanes? :P

Zaxsta

Ha! Forgot to put that in my post. Good one. Definitely pots for these suckers, then. No way am I going to let some freak hurricane destroy my plants.

hardland

I think the temps you reference are in the shade. I am in Ft Lderdale, 25 miles nth of Miami and right now(mid april) the temps are 88+ in shade and low 90's in full sun, thats waht tomatoes need. It's also almost 95% humidity already!! Iv'e been told the only tomatoes you have a chance with in Sth FL in early mild summer are certain kinds, Heatwave, Homestead, etc.

Garf
Green Thumb

95% of tomatoes are not capable of surviving the heat, humidity, diseases, and insects of a Miami summer. How do I know? I was born here and I am now 67. I have only had one plant survive a Miami summer. It was a seed taken from a supermarket tomato.

imafan26
Mod

Tomatoes will grow year round in Miami. It is the same zone I am in. Garf is correct though, if you want tomatoes in summer, you will need heat resistant varieties like Heatwave II, Sunmaster, Florida 91, Arkansas Traveller, Creole, or plant cherry tomatoes which do better in the heat. Tomatoes actually will yield better October-June. July-September only heat tolerant tomatoes will produce if you have good water. Those are better planted where you will get morning sun and afternoon cover or use some kind of shading.

If you want to grow heirloom tomatoes and they do not have nematode or fungal resistance = Brandywine. You need to plant them in containers off the ground and make sure hands and tools are disinfected if you are going from the ground to the container. Plants without a VFFFNT resistance will probably need a regular fungicide program because of the humidity.

https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/ ... atoes.html

Garf
Green Thumb

So far, I have 30+ baby tomatoes on 3 plants. Since I have 6 plants started, I hope for lot of baby tomatoes.

Garf
Green Thumb

MVC-005F.JPG
Herre is a sample pic.

Garf
Green Thumb

MVC-001bF.jpg
I have the first ripe Everglades tomato of 2016. My taste tester has already eaten it and pronounced it GREAT.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”