gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How deep do you plant tomatoes

Now I'm not talking about seedlings which should be planted up to the true leaves if not more.

I'm talking an already established plant that may be 8 - 12 inches tall. If you do plant everything do you cut off all the lower branches before planting.

I'm am going to take a risk and put a few out today thye are big plants I will put up cages and wrap them with agribon ( a pest barrier).

Thanks Dono

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I've got all these tomato seedlings that got all leggy in front of the window and are now waiting and waiting for a promised warm up that keeps getting delayed one more day and one more day. They are now around 15" tall. When I finally get a chance to plant them, I'm planning to take the first true leaves off and bury them up to the next set which will mean burying about 8" of stem.

Looks like agribon is a variety of floating row cover.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Well, I've got all these tomato seedlings that got all leggy in front of the window and are now waiting and waiting for a promised warm up that keeps getting delayed one more day and one more day. They are now around 15" tall. When I finally get a chance to plant them, I'm planning to take the first true leaves off and bury them up to the next set which will mean burying about 8" of stem.

Looks like agribon is a variety of floating row cover.
That's kinda what I thought.

Agribon might be a brand name but yes it is a very lightweight FRC. mainly used for pest protection I belive I rally havn't broken it out much yet. It does seem to light for warmth protection unless doulbed up mybe trippled. I got it from johnny's.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If the roots are loose (big pot) I will bury 3-4 inches of stem, mainly to stabilize the plant, because plants with loose roots do not tend to put out alot of adventitious roots from the stem and I want to keep the original root ball in the upper warm nutrient rich layer. If the plant is badly pot bound I will bury/trench alot of the stem because it will relie more on stem root development. In the first case I generally clip/pinch off the first leaf, in the latter case (long leggy root bound plants) more leaves generally get removed.

I try to judge the root damage/root spread to the total leaf area and ask myself if the roots will be able to get enough water for the leaves, and if there are enough mature leaves left on the plant to grow more roots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the advice. I planted 2 today just to see if they will grow. I took of the first couple of stems and platned them deep just like every time I repotted them. We shall see they had no aclimation just thrown in.
With a bit of bone meal and chopped up eggshells for food.

Hoping for the best expecting the worst.

What am I saying they are gonna be great. :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”