tedln
Super Green Thumb

Germination of "Difficult" seeds - USDA method per

Duh_Vinci,

I'm trying the method you posted recently. I planted two Cuostralee seeds per cell in twelve cells about fourteen days ago. Three single seedlings germinated and they don't seem strong and healthy. They exhibit very little development after 4 days.

I used the 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water solution in a small plastic vial with seven fresh seeds. The seeds had a lot of furry residue attached to them. When I placed them in the vial and shook it, two seeds floated to the top and five sank to the bottom. Thirty minutes later, I rinsed the seeds in fresh water in the same vial. All seed dropped to the bottom and the furry residue was gone. The seed shells were not as translucent as those in the photos you posted, but they were clean. I immediately planted each seed in individual cells. It will be interesting to see how they germinate and develop. I hope it works because I really want to grow the Cuostralee tomato this year so I can keep it or delete it for next year. I only have seven seeds left. If this attempt fails, I may try the method again with a stronger bleach solution to see if I can acheive the translucent shell and check them for viability before I plant them.

Ted

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good luck Ted, hopefully it works for you this time!

I had 9 varieties where I've only had 6-8 seeds of each, mostly were 2006-2007 with no freezer storage. No germination of the first batch. So I seeded the rest of what I've had, using bleach method that USDA suggests. And all varieties germinated, some with 100% some less... All but one, no matter what I've done with the seeds (heating mat, napkin, bleach, soil-less mix - nothing), oh well, I gave up on that one...

Best of luck with this batch! Let us know how it works out for your this time!

Regards,
D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci,

Using the bleaching method, with the Coustralee tomato, I have a 50% germination rate after 5 days. With my first effort using the normal technique, I could only germinate 25% after 14 days. The previous three that did germinate, had a weak sickly appearance. After I up potted them and put them outside for some sunlight, they perked up and started acting like they want to grow. They are doing so well, that I planted their containers in the garden today. I do that a lot to simply acclimate plants to the soil temps, moisture availability through the bottom, and other variables. If a plant doesn't seem to be doing well in its new home, I move it. When I feel it is doing well, I will remove it from the container. I also planted some Brandywine Sudduth and Prudens Purple the same way today. I will probably unpot them next week if this warm temp. holds. I think we are past the late frost danger. I still have some Mortgage Lifter, Kelloggs Breakfast, and Sweet Caneros Pink from Brad Davis to plant. The pinks haven't germinated yet, but they have only been in the soil for five days.

Ted

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ted,

Sounds like you will actually have your Coustralee in the garden after all! If you like the flavor of these - you would probably want to save your own seeds, so you would not have to deal with tough germination issues next year...

On Kelloggs Breakfast - please let us know how well does it do for you. I opted to grow KBX this year (potato leaf of this variety). Some say RL leaf produces better, some say PL. I know your summers are hot, so are ours - I'm curious...

Good gardening ted!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”