sickles

Too Early to Plant Purple Smudge Heirloom Tomatoes?

I just purchased a Purple Smudge heirloom tomato plant online. I am worried that it might be a bit early to plant this thing outdoors(zone 7). If I plant this in a large container and wait until after our last predicted frost, will I risk stunting the plants growth when I transplant it to the garden? I don't know if anyone has experience with this particular heirloom variety but any feedback would be greatly appeciated. Thanks in advance!!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Pretty much all tomato varieties are the same in regard to putting them out. Either protect them from frost with something like Wall O Waters or wait for your last frost date. Plants can sit around for a couple of weeks weeks in pots without much problem. If you don't fertilizer them (water only) they stall their growth when they run out of whatever nutrients were in the pot. Give them sun and coolish temps while you wait if they are large, warmer temps (and maybe fertilizer) if they are small.

sickles

Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I think I will let them mellow in the pots for now. Being that I live in NC, I will probably be alright from the frost. Rule of thumb is tax day to plant but it hasnt fallen below 40 in some time now. Thanks for the advice. I will post progress of the plant as well as the other 2000 sq. ft of "maters" :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”