RyanDe680
Cool Member

Just got my seeds yesterday, thanks Roger!

Can't wait for those sweet carneros!!!!

tn_veggie_gardner

I got my seeds today. Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to sow some and enjoy these rare delicious tomatoes. =)

webmaster
Site Admin

Great! I'm excited to know how well they germinate and produce fruit. Keep me updated please. :)

I am running low on seeds so if anyone else wants some please send me a PM. I have sent the last batch of envelopes out this afternoon, so everyone who has requested seeds before today should have them on their way. ;)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I got my seeds today, thank you very much.

I was excited with many of the other tomatoes that I bought, and got in trades. Wow, this is going to be an exciting year.

I just can't wait to see what all these are going to look like and taste like.

This really makes me want to "fast forward and see them"! :lol:
And then hit slow play, as I taste them! Ummm!

Thanks!

kimbledawn

I got my seed today! WHOOOHOOOOO!! I can't wait to plant them. Thank you so much!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Got mine will be planting tommorow. Can't wait for them and all the others.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Always slow to my neck of the woods, "patiently waiting" =)

Just about a week ago I received a packet of seeds a friend of mine sent from Germany on Jan 5th... Not sure were those traveled for 3 months :lol:

Regards,
D

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

My seeds arrived today, many thanks, what a wonderful easter gift.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I got my seeds today and it MADE MY DAY!!!!!
this morning whike digging around in the garden I discovered an peice of foundation or something. I know it's 3 feet wide, as of now it's at LEAST 4 ft long and 6 inches deep but I'm still trying to find the edges and bttom :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have some sprouts growing but for some reason the Berkley Tie Dye did not come up.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have 3 Berkley Tie Dyes up and growing.
I have 2 Solano just showing a bud for true leaves.
And I have 4 Carneros getting true leaves, I see the shapes of them already.

I only planted part of the seeds, I saved some just in case I killed these!

They are doing pretty good, and I am pretty thrilled!

mtmickey

YeeHaw...got my seeds in the mail today. Thanks Roger, can't wait to get them started.

martoosaat

Oooh I would really like some seeds, I'm still working up to 10 posts!
(Hard when all I have are questions, not much in the way of advice to give)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I went to the Boar's Farm link, and this time, I watched the video of the guy growing them.

Wow, he said, that they produce really well for about 5-6 weeks, and then they slack off. So, he plants new tomatoes every 4 weeks.

And I thought it was the heat here, because I have noticed, my tomatoes kick into high gear, take a nap, and then come back really strong for their finish, leaving me with lots of green tomatoes at season's end.

Since, I only planted a few of many kinds of tomatoes, I guess I will wait and about 6 weeks after first sowing, I am going to start another batch of tomatoes. If it works for him, the expert, it should work for me. And I simply can't even imagine having too many tomatoes. I don't think it is possible.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thank you Roger! AAA are seeded this evening! Look forward to trying these out, love the sweet tasting tomatoes, can't wait!

Regards,
D

tomato_girl

I'd like to "book" some SWEET CARNEROS PINK seed for next season from the members who got this variety. :P Will trade for anything from my list. Thank you.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Is anyone else having difficulty with these tomatoes?

I have just watched the last seedling die. They got so big, and needed transplant, shocked and gradually they all died.

I had only planted a few of the seeds, so I am going to start them again, this time in larger pots, so I can avoid the transplant, until they are garden size.

I have tomatoes of all sizes! Just a few of the various types, absolutely won't cooperate with me. So, I am going through and listing the survivors, and will be restarting all that didn't make it in the first few germinating.

Part of these damped off, some dried up, none ever looked good once I transplanted them, and I was oh so careful.

I am back to square one, but, I do still have seeds to try it again!
Are they growing well for you all?

tn_veggie_gardner

Ozark: I plan to sow some very soon. I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to my greenhouses (when to open plastic on the one & when to open polywhatever on the other) and have fried a few seedlings b/c of this, so I don't want to sow any of my rare seeds until I get this figured out well. But, when I do, I'll let y'all know! =)

- Steve

tomato_girl

Ozark Lady wrote:Is anyone else having difficulty with these tomatoes?
I don't have problems with mine. They grow just fine. The only thing I can mention is the low germination rate of Black brown boar. But hey, those were free seeds so I can't complain. :wink:

Ozark lady, if you won't have any luck with your plants, I can send you seeds in autumn (I have all of them except the SWEET CARNEROS PINK - it's still on my wish list).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

They just really surprised me!
I have 202 tomatoe seedlings going, based on Saturdays count. And they are of all sizes, from just germinated up to transplant ready.
And 23 different ones!
To me, it looked like most of them damped off, but not all of them did. They were in separate containers. Some had even graduated to the other mobile.
I have several varieties that I haven't tried yet, alot I got in trades, so I think I will start another round of tomatoes that I don't have growing. And this time, they will be milk fed babies! Damping off isn't gonna get a second chance!

I appreciate the offer, and I would like to trade with folks, even if I get mine to live, we probably got different ones.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I received the sweet caneros pink free seed. Planted six, two germinated. The tiny seedlings just sat there while other varieties around them were growing big enough to transplant. After about three weeks, the tiny seedlings simply laid their heads down and died. I had six seed left, so I tried the bleach pre-treatment on them last week and planted them. I should know in the next few days if they will germinate. I also ordered some more Sweet Caneros Pink and a couple of others from Brad Gates and hopefully will receive them in the next few days. I will also start attempting to germinate them when I receive them.

I really like the varieties Wild Boar Farms has originated and would like to grow some of them. I don't want to give up on them without giving them a fair chance to produce.

I would like to hear some success stories in germinating and growing the free seed. Maybe give us an idea about how you are germinating them.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kimbledawn

I planted two seeds, one pork chop and one black and brown boar. I had given up on them when both popped up and were very nice littles seedlings. Hail from Saturday's storm broke one but the other one is still living. I also planted a few more a week or two after the first and knocked the pot over and mixed the soil up so I may have lost those. :( I will see how the seedling I have holds up.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

kimbledawn wrote:I planted two seeds, one pork chop and one black and brown boar. I had given up on them when both popped up and were very nice littles seedlings. Hail from Saturday's storm broke one but the other one is still living. I also planted a few more a week or two after the first and knocked the pot over and mixed the soil up so I may have lost those. :( I will see how the seedling I have holds up.
How long did it take them to pop up? They may simply require more time to germinate than other varieties. I gave the Sweet Caneros Pink about a month to germinate. I left the ungerminated seed for at least another week after two of six had germinated.

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:They just really surprised me!
I have 202 tomatoe seedlings going, based on Saturdays count. And they are of all sizes, from just germinated up to transplant ready.
And 23 different ones!
202 seedlings!?! Holy cats what do you do with them all????

tn_veggie_gardner

Ozark: LMK if you need any tomato seeds. I'd be happy to send you a few packs of them. =)

kimbledawn

Tedln,

It did seem to take a much longer time. I thought I was just imagining it but my other seedlings germinated in a few days and these seemed to take some weeks. I was quite upset :evil: when I saw the hail damage.

I don't know which plant it was because I just planted them together. I hope that I can keep it alive and taste those beautiful tomatoes.

emijean
Newly Registered

Those are all so beautiful, and I bet delicious too. Sad I missed this offer, but also don't think I have 10 posts yet. Still a newbie

Hopefully there will be more giveaways like this! :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I didn't notice any issues in germinating them, I had them in with many other seedlings, in their own container, but in the same tray, and everyone just popped up in the usual 3-4 days.

They grew well, and looked strong and good. Then I decided to separate them, since they were a bit crowded up. From there on, it was down hill at an amazing speed.

Two of them still have green leaves, but are laying out flat. I can't figure why they are still green when they look dead!

I have 202 seedlings, because I had in mind offering heirloom seedlings for sale at the Farmer's Markets when they start in May.

And that is why I took an inventory of what has survived so far. I want to keep 2-3 of each kind, and sell the extras.

Can you believe, I bought tomato seedlings today? I did, I found Arkansas Travellers and bought a 4 pack of them. After I bought them, I found they are hybrids, figures. Oh well, I will still save seeds and maybe on the grow out of them, I will find my old favorite heirloom Arkansas Traveller!

It is raining off and on today, so much for the partly cloudy forecast, so seems that starting seeds will be a good gardening activity that is a bit drier!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It's beautiful here today, but I was sick as a dog all weekend and still not feeling the best. I managed to drag my mountain of seedlings outside for a big drink and some sun (3 days of dark clouds and rain left them looking TERRIBLE) and now I'm laying here doing nothing :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have 3 variety s growing the fourth the one I wanted the most (Berkley Tie dye) didn't germinate. I will post again when they are bigger they are growing slowly but one of them is just getting it's first true leaves.

Gotta run going to Cardinals baseball game or I would post pics but I really want them to grow more first anyway's 8)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

You guys are amking me REALLY nervous about my berkleys, half of them have come up now.
I'm terrified they're gonna die cuz everyone else's are!!!
Does anyone have any doing well???????

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

No need to be nervous!

I believe that some seedlings are more susceptible damping off, but I've yet to loose a singe seedling of any Brad's varieties. Growing Brad's Black Heart, Berkley Tie-Dye Heart, Black and Brown Boar, Pink Berkley Tie-Dye and Beauty king (those were seeded in mid Feb) and just germinated AAA Sweet Solano from this offer.

Good luck to all!

Regards,
D

Fudd7405
Newly Registered

I have never seen tomato's like these before! My tomato's are doing great down here in New Orleans and I look forward to trying those!

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

Well, I thought I was out of luck, as none of the rare tomato seeds I'd planted had germinated. I left the cells as they were though as the seed tray had quite a bit of stuff planted in the other sections. So, was I surprised this morning to go up and find that several have germinated- though I couldn't tell you which because I used a pen that wasn't waterproof on my labels....I love how gardening teaches you to learn from your mistakes!

tomato_girl

Black brown boar, Pink berkley tie dye, AAA Sweet solano (Berkley tie dye wasn't present):
[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_UgkkREQYReE/S9hIPJ7x9BI/AAAAAAAAEy4/tWMkSNrHFXk/s912/_MG_6491.JPG[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow! Looking good!

Thanks for the encouragement. Okay, where did I put the rest of those seeds? :lol:

mellie
Newly Registered

I have found the best way to keep birds from pecking at tomatoes: pantyhose! I cut the hose into cuff like sections and just slip one around each tomato. Knee-hi's work good too. This seems to confuse the birds because they don't see the bright red tomatoe, and the tomatoes can remain on the vine and ripen!

JordanRHughes
Newly Registered

Those do look great. I've never seem them like that before. Are they sweet? Thanks for the post.

Jordan.

lj in ny

I harvested my first Berkeley Tie Die Pink this week it weighed in at 13.0 ounces. It was catfaced and pretty lumpy. We had some cooler nights earlier in the season- probably the reason. I've got some better looking ones still on the vine.

I made 2 bacon and tomato sandwiches (I didn't want to muddy the waters with lettuce!) and had some left over to eat plain. AWESOME tomato! It has a nice sweet taste to it that contrasted nicely with the salty bacon. It's a keeper! Love it.

I'm definitely going to grow some more Wild Boar Farms tomatoes next year. If BTDP is any indication of the direction Brad Gates is going I want to jump on his train!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

To me, it looked like most of them damped off, but not all of them did. They were in separate containers. Some had even graduated to the other mobile.
Here is a tonic I used on my seedlings this year, I used it on all of my seedlings, and not one damped off. Even basil seedlings, which I have found to be the worst.

4 tsp of Chamomile tea leaves
1 tsp of soap (I used plain dawn)
1 quart of boiling water

Pour the water over the tea and stir in the soap. Let it steep overnight.
Strain it through a coffee filter into a mist sprayer.

I start spraying as soon as the seedlings emerge from the starter mix. I spray them daily until transplant. I also water from the bottom.

I wanna get in on this! Are ya'll gonna do it again this year?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”