grimaldi
Newly Registered

whitish yellowish spots on leaves

I planted about five , six inch high seedlings 10 days ago. The leaves on all plants now have whitish, yellowish spots on them. Does anyone know what this is and how to cure it?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That is a fungal infection.

Most likely it occurred from soil splashing onto your plants while watering so, in the future use a non invasive watering method.

Try spraying your plants each week with an aerated compost tea. You may be able to buy the tea somewhere we have a company here that sells it called Earth Elixir but, you'll have to ask around. Otherwise it is dead simple to make, just place some compost in a bucket with water and stir several times a day quite vigourously for about a week. Then, dilute 4:1 and spray on your plants.

A more invasive way of controlling the infection is use of ..... if memory seves it is copper sulphate but, I'm not sure if I have the correct base there. Anyway, a word to the wise about this stuff: it wreaks havoc with local soil and leaf flora and fauna so, use sparingly. Also, it is a salt so be careful to not overdose as it can accumulate in soils.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”