GardenJester

grafting tomatoes

anyone tried grafting a tomato plant on to a potato plant? Since both are in the nightshade family, it's conceivable to produce tomato and potato on the same plant.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Theoretically...but tomatoes bear above-ground, in warm weather, and potatoes bear underground, in cooler weather.

When trees are grafted, they're usually very closely related: pomaceous fruits (apples/pears), stone fruits (peaches/apricots). These have the same bearing habits and temp/water requirements.

Maybe a search of scientific literature would turn up some experiments?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No personal experience, but I've seen them advertised in catalogues

https://gardenerschoice.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=229

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You can also graft the tomatoes onto tobacco or eggplant, and they are both warm weather nightshade plants.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The eggplant sounds like a great idea: both it and tomato are fruiting nightshades. :) There's half of your ratatouille right there! All you need to add is some zucchini (or other summer squash) and some onion. Season as you like. Saute it all up and...try not to go "YUMMMM" with your mouth full. :wink:

Cynthia

GardenJester

Ozark Lady wrote:You can also graft the tomatoes onto tobacco or eggplant, and they are both warm weather nightshade plants.
LOL, that reminded me of a Simpsons' episode. Homer using radioactive seeds to grow "tomacco". A tomato with addictive quality of tobacco.

Eggplant and Tomato sound interesting thou. I'm presently germinating both seedlings. I think I will do some research and possibily experimentation. Anyone got a line on where I can start?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”