mooseantlers

My last attempt at tomatoes (unless)

I really hope this isn't the last attempt at growing tomatoes. It's just that it's gotten worse every year.

Our garden occupies a fenced in area that once held a chicken coop (many years before). We had so many tomatoes that the wife learned how to can them so we could enjoy them all winter! The cost of the jars was crazy!

Anyway, since then, we'd be hard pressed to get 1 or maybe 2 batches of canned tomatoes. Last year, we tried 2x6 raised beds with compost and top soil & it ended up with the the plants being infected with some disease (blight? if I remember) and got 0!

We live in 'upper' NW New Hampshire and the garden gets sun from sunrise until mid afternoon.

I am willing to a add a second layer of 2x6's to the raised beds and am wondering. Since tomatoes generally prefer warm & humid conditions, would it be beneficial to add posts to the beds and rig heavy mil 'clear' plastic around them?

Thanks for any help!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Last year was a bad year for everyone. The blight that took over the country was I believe in the east so that may not be your fault. But don't give up yet try again every year is different. You already have the beds what have yo got to lose?

As far as forcing humidity that is probably not a good idea. If your plants are always in a very humid location that could cause more fungal problems which is what you don't want.

Good luck and try again,

Dono

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do some browsing around here for the milk treatment for fungus. You can spray diluted milk on them even preventatively (dilute it down to 1:10 with water for preventive use). The lactobacillus in the milk helps prevent blight and other fungal diseases.

soil
Greener Thumb

sounds like you need some chickens again :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That and that. Remember a healthy plant will be less susceptible to pest and disease. So good soil is the key and a little IPM (integrated pest management) will go a long way in producing a healthy crop.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”