Sengyan

Sea Magic - seaweed fertilizer

Has anyone used a seaweed base fertilizer called Sea Magic. It is said to be derived from a high grade seaweed called Ascophyllum Nosodum. It is sold out of Winnepeg, Manitoba, for $9.95 ( 30g package which makes more than 250L) The advert. has made 9 claims for its effectiveness for tomatoes to lawn. Please post experiences.

Sengyan

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ascophyllum is a brown algae that is closely related to Fucus which is the common brown algae that you see growing on rocks at beaches. Brown algaes are high in nutrients and quite good for the garden.

I wouldn't say that there was anything magic about Ascophyllum but, seaweed of most types (especially brown algae) are really great for the soil. So, I would say, go for it if you can't find anything that is cheaper or more locally available.

Kelp meal works really well too.

dawn
Newly Registered

Re: Sea Magic - seaweed fertilizer

Sengyan wrote:Has anyone used a seaweed base fertilizer called Sea Magic. It is said to be derived from a high grade seaweed called Ascophyllum Nosodum. It is sold out of Winnepeg, Manitoba, for $9.95 ( 30g package which makes more than 250L) The advert. has made 9 claims for its effectiveness for tomatoes to lawn. Please post experiences.

Sengyan

I used it last year and really liked it. I also used it for my houseplants. My wandering jew loved it. It was such a beautiful dark purple. Can't find it locally this year. I paid $5.99 for it but would be willing to pay $9.95 if I could find a source.

Dawn

TNgardener
Newly Registered

I saw it mentioned on another forum. I am going to try it. Everything I have read has been good. They have it at [url=https://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=9261&cid=pdom00001]Park Seed[/url]. Here is a link:

Richard_a
Newly Registered

I think everything is worth trying once.

i never used Sea Magic fertilizer, but algae-based fertilizers work great, that's a well proven fact.

anyway spending $10 on the fertilizer isn't a big risk so i would give it a go.

tshelley
Newly Registered

Can't give you any results yet but am using it NOW on my tomato seedlings I started from seed .. last summer I used it on some beans that were doing quite well and it nearly killed them .. I don't think I was careful at all in mixing it according to instructions, so do follow their guidelines .. I think you can obvioulsy add too much as you could with probably most any fertilizer

nlange21
Newly Registered

tshelley wrote:. I don't think I was careful at all in mixing it according to instructions, so do follow their guidelines .. I think you can obvioulsy add too much as you could with probably most any fertilizer

If you're unfamiliar with a fertilizer, it is best to thoroughly read the instructions.

-Nick :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

With organic fertilizers, you can't burn a plant so it's not that important to exactly follow the dilution instructions. There are specific instructtions for products like Kelp meal, blood meal, liquid organic fertilzers and so forth but I just add a handful of kelp or blood meal (giver or take) and with the liquids I just add a dash or two. Like I say, you can't burn you plants so, it's not absolutely essential to follow the instructions. They are more a guidleline.

The more you use these products, the better the understanding you will have as to how much to use.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”