Zaxsta

Sorta new to tomato growing...have a few problems

I used to grow tomatoes with my mom when I was a kid, but now I'm in my mid twenties and want to do it all by my little self. I have two problems and a transfer question.

One of my plants has a slight leaf curl, and another is very yellow on new growth. I have been transferring the plants inside and outside, depending on the weather, so temperature change could explain the leaf curl. I also have been watering them a bunch, which given the temperatures could have constituted overwatering (which explains the yellow color of the new growth).

This is the yellow coloration of the new growth I was talking about. The variety is Super Fantastic and it is still in a container (pot, whatever).
[img]https://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8758/photo1j.jpg[/img]

This is the leaf curl I was talking about. Not too pronounced, but I'm still worried.
[img]https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3640/photo2mro.jpg[/img]

Finally, this stud is about 14~16 inches tall. Time to transfer to a larger pot out of a standard seedling container? Perhaps this is why the leaves (new growth) just started turning yellow on top?
[img]https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4172/photojn.jpg[/img]

Thanks for all the help guys...I can't remember what variety the leaf curl plant is, but I'll post it later. Thank goodness for the web!
Last edited by Zaxsta on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re bottom picture: Yes, that is a very big plant for the little pot. Definitely past time to get it into a bigger pot, if you can't put it in the ground yet. Also it is very tall, I.e. long inter-node spacing. That suggests that it hasn't been getting as much light as it would really like. When you up-pot it, remember to bury deeper in the new pot than it is now.

Are you fertilizing these plants? With what, how much?

Zaxsta

Yeah, so the store I bought the plants from didn't do a good job pruning. I'm guessing I should remove all of this and bury it up to that first major branch?

[img]https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6296/photo3bw.jpg[/img]

Thanks for all the help, guys! It really is awesome that we have websites now to get all the help we need...can't bring someone from a nursery to come look at my plants!

Oh, as for fertilizer...I'm using Microlife 6-2-4. It's got some kelp or seaweed in it...everyone's been raving about how great those are for tomatoes. This seemed gentle, yet effective. Thinking about making tea with it...would that be a good idea? I just sprinkled a pinch or two into the little pots every week or so, but a small pinch at that. When I move them to a big container, going to follow the bag and put 2.5oz per 5 gallons of soil.
[url]https://www.microlifefertilizer.com/products.htm[/url]

*EDIT* - Not for me to drink. For the plant. The plant.
Last edited by Zaxsta on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

RG, are you the one who grows your plants in 3 in. pots? The reason I ask is you told me I could grow them in pots this small until I plant them outside. Since you are telling the OP to pot-up from his, I realized that there is a size-limit to these pots also. What is it? How tall can I grow them in these pots til I have to either up-pot a second time or plant in dirt?

Thanks for any help, I'm a bit it the dark when it comes to the up-potting rules.

tn_veggie_gardner

Like the others have mentioned, I would reccomend potting them up. Both of your issues look like some type of nutrient defficiency. Put them in minimum 3-4 gallon containers, if not larger and give them a good all around fertilizer and they should recover within a week or two.

- Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do grow mine in 3" pots and I don't bother potting them up, because early in April I'm putting them in the ground. They are stretching the limits for still being in the little pots by then. But right now they are babies that are fine in the little pots, so it's only just the last couple weeks. To me it's not quite worth the trouble of up potting just to help them get through the last couple weeks better.

Zapata is in Houston, so maybe getting ready to put theirs in the ground too.... If you can put them in the ground, then you don't need to worry about containers! :)

It's hard to give any definitive answer about how big can they get. It's partly about roots and if they are getting pot bound. But I also find that if they get tall like in the picture, especially if leggy, I.e. tall and slender, then they start having trouble with flopping over, stems can get broken, and generally they don't do as well.

Zaxsta

Can't put them in the ground - cranky landlord. Need to grow them in pots (5 gal).

Zaxsta

Now my Roma tomato plant is half yellow on top, the rest of it light green. This is irritating (it is still very small...I'd say certainly not taller than 4 1/2 inches). New growths are all twisted and dry at the tips, drying back down towards the stem.

Additionally, several of the plants are drooping during the day and rebounding at night (when I bring them inside). Some of their leaves are beginning to develop burn marks. This is absurd; it's early March and they aren't outside for more than 7 hours a day in direct sunlight. It definitely seems to be lighting related though, as they all look fine in the morning before I put them outside in the sun.

What is going on here? I hate it when seedlings immediately start to have problems straight from the store.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”