Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

2010 Tomatoes - Round II and III

It took me a while to come up with the final grow out list, there is only but so much space, and yet, so much I wanted grow... So after deliberating, and editing the list many times, Feb 20th, 50+ varieties were seeded!

Some germinated in as little as 2 days, some are just poking out, and not surprised, some seeds are as old as 4 years, and everything in between. Nevertheless, here is the first sign of life showing on the after 2 days:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesmassgerminati/794851891_LiXTh-XL.jpg[/img]

I actually ended up using small, 1/2" cell flat, since there are 50+ varieties, 3 seeds of each planted, so...

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesround302271/798550319_ECLXt-XL.jpg[/img]

Little update on the $0.20 seed packet - ended up buying "Delicious" variety by "American Seed", mostly out sheer curiosity for a fruit that holds some world record in weight. Pleasantly surprised - all germinated in 4 days:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesround302271/798550416_WQtJt-XL.jpg[/img]

Others are doing fine as well, most starting their first set of true leafs, that means next weekend - transplant time!

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesround302272/798550486_QVCvn-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesround30227/798550368_PYgvs-XL.jpg[/img]

Basket varieties are transplanted this morning, seeded on 02/11/2010

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010baskettomatoes0227/798168528_t8eY2-XL.jpg[/img]

These guys are "Rutgers", was not planning on keeping them at all, bought the seed packet in Jan for seed mix germination tests and transplant soil mix test. But felt bad, they look so healthy, so I transplanted them into a larger pots:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010rutgers02272/798578721_D9BKQ-XL.jpg[/img]

And the full list of "contenders" to get into the garden this year:

1884 Purple
Airyleaf
Amazon Chocolate
Anna Russian
Arkashin
Armenian
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Balcony Yellow (basket)
Beauty King
Berkley Tie-Dye Heart
Big Cheef
Black And Brown Boar
Black Plum
Black Trifle
Black Tula
Brad's Black Heart
Brandywine Black
Brandywine Cowlick's
Brandywine Sudduth
Brandywine, Cherry
Bull's Heart Pink
Burtzyn
Carbon
Chermonor
Cherokee Purple
Cream Sausage
Dagestanskiy
De Barao Zolotoy
Delicious
Donskoi
Dynnye
Early Wonder Pink
Fruhe Liebe
Garden Pearl (basket)
Gary O'Sena
Golden Gem
Goose Creek
Green Copia
Green Zebra
Gregori's Altai
Grub's Mystery Green
Iraquische Hertzformige
Jasnaja
Jaune Flamme
Kalinka
Kardinal
KBX
Kimberly
Krasavica Lotaringii
Lambada
Lubasha
Ludmila's Yellow Giant
Lycopersicum-Macrocarpum-Lutea
Manyel
Moldovian Green
Noire De Crimee
Nyagos Black
Onyx
Orange Strawberry
Orlov Yellow
Paul Robeson
Pendulina Orange (basket)
Pervaya Lubov
Pink Berkley Tie-Dye
Pipo
Purple Russian
Reif Red Heart
Rose Himbeer (basket)
Rutgers
Sakharnyi Zheltyi
Samurabe
Sandul Moldovan
Shapka Monomakha
Sorrento
Spudakee
Spudatula
Stupice
Sweet Cluster VFNT
Tatar of Mongolistan
Taxi
Tomande VFFNT
Tzar Kolokol
Violet Jasper (Tzi Bi U)
Whipper-Snapper (basket)
White Queen
Yellow Trifele
Zolotye Kupola

That is double of what I planted last year, I have a lot of work cut out for me in the spring, and hoping for some warmer weather so I can get cracking at it!

Regards,
D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Wow! 50 varieties! That's alot, I'm gonna have enough trouble with 3 varieteis, lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeeez, D_V, where are you going to put all those! Do you grow anything besides tomatos? I have a mental image of you with tons of tomato plants where other people might have a front lawn! :)

But fabulous photos. I need to learn to get right in close like that!

applestar
Mod

Yeah I noticed last time that he's got numbers on the labels. I guess you have a chart on a clipboard, Duh_Vinci? :wink: Looking great! Family stuff going on today, so no gardening for me until tomorrow. :D (It's snowing again.... )

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

RG - lol I finally have the front lawn, and after 2 years of battling with red clay and rock, grass is growing (though still covered in snow). There is a decent size area in the back of the garage, fairly flat, so why not expand :wink: BTW, since just about every modern digital camera has "macro" mode, give it a try, getting close is fun!

Apple - that was the only way to keep up with the varieties. A created a spreadsheet over the past 6-7 months with all the attributes of varieties, planting dates, notes, etc, and all varieties are numbered, corresponding to the sleeve number of CD case where all the seeds are stored. Otherwise - I can just imaging the mess I would have created :lol: Enjoy your family time!

Regards,
D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So, all together, just how many seedlings do you have? Also, do you keep them all together or do you separate them into separate rooms? Congratulations on you success.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Not even going to attempt to count - too many :lol: Getting up in the morning 1/2 hour earlier just so I can water the youngest seedlings. Others are fine with x2 per week...

By the end of March, 2 rooms of the house should have 9 hours of sun, one with double windows, one with a single window, so I will move the racks there. But for now - little organize jungle under the grow lights in the basement, and will be installing 3rd set of lights for the lower shelf:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup02282010/798878421_S22eU-XL.jpg[/img]

Regards,
D
Last edited by Duh_Vinci on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That is a beautiful grow light setup, DV!

What kinds of fluorescent lights are those? They do not look like T8s (two bulb), they look deeper. Perhaps it is just the camera angle.

Also what size square pots do you keep them in until you plant them. Do you only pot up once?

Sorry about all the questions :oops:, thanks for any answers :o.

tomato_girl

Hey, Duh_Vinci. I can see I'm not the only tomato junkie here. :D You have a nice list.

Can you please tell me which camera + lenses are you using? Your photos are AMAZING! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good D_V, you da man. A crazy man at that. I have 8-10 varietys going and that is hard enough.

Do you set most of them out as seedlings just after the second leaves?

RyanDe680
Cool Member

That's a wicked huge list of varieties! I had no idea there were that many.

Good luck.

I really enjoy your pics, very clear and making this project look like an art!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

RyanDe680 wrote:That's a wicked huge list of varieties! I had no idea there were that many.

Good luck.

There are thousands of tomato variety's, and yes D_V can take a baby seedling and turn it in into a work of art.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

tomato_girl wrote:Hey, Duh_Vinci. I can see I'm not the only tomato junkie here. :D You have a nice list.

Can you please tell me which camera + lenses are you using? Your photos are AMAZING! :D
Thanks, and indeed, you are not the only tomato junkie!

Camera/Lens - Pentax K10D and K20D, lenses (depending on the subject): Close-ups Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro, general/wide angle Pentax DA 16-45mm f4, and general purpose and narrow DOF Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 Sometimes, depending on the mood or the subject - LensBaby for selective focus.

gixxerific wrote:Looking good D_V, you da man. A crazy man at that. I have 8-10 varietys going and that is hard enough.

Do you set most of them out as seedlings just after the second leaves?
Dono - yep, I think I'm nuts... There will be plenty seedlings to give away this year! But - I love tomatoes! And yes, as soon as the real leafs are visible to the naked eye - transplant them up to the first leafs.

RyanDe680 wrote:That's a wicked huge list of varieties! I had no idea there were that many.

Good luck.

Thanks Ryan! As Dono said, there are literally tens of thousands of varieties. Can't try them all, but sure is interesting to browse and learn about them!

gixxerific wrote:...There are thousands of tomato variety's, and yes D_V can take a baby seedling and turn it in into a work of art.
Dono - I wish I could take credit, but mother nature makes this art, I just try to capture it on the camera :wink:

Regards,
D

wolfie

D, you put them in the ground when you first see true leaves??? Is that how I read that?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:D, you put them in the ground when you first see true leaves??? Is that how I read that?
Yeah that was what I was after, you answer was a bit misleading. Not sure if you are putting in bigger pots or in the ground.

Still wondering to myself if the mighty giants I have now will perform like I want them to. I do however have some babys just now coming around.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Sorry for not making it clear :oops:

First leafs - cotyledon, then as soon as the real, first true leafs are taken shape, I transplant them into a larger pot (first transplant), entire stem into the soil mix, up to cotyledons.

Later on, I'd transplant them again into the larger pots, again, bury most of the stem, this time - up to the first or second true leafs, depending on how high these guys have grown.

Just spent a hour watering the seedlings downstairs - but it's all labor of love!

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Here is a visual (if it helps) - these are Brad Gates' (Wild Boar Farms) - Berkley Tie-Dye Heart sprouts, will be transplanted tomorrow, all the way up to that red line:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/820237938_9kjmy-XL.jpg[/img]

Will set for few days under the grow light in room, then for a week to the cool basement for a "cold treatment"

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am a believer in the cold treament, as you have seen mine have been in the cold basement for their whole life and are growing like mad, maybe too much. :lol:

tomato_girl

Duh_Vinci wrote: Camera/Lens - Pentax K10D and K20D, lenses (depending on the subject): Close-ups Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro, general/wide angle Pentax DA 16-45mm f4, and general purpose and narrow DOF Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 Sometimes, depending on the mood or the subject - LensBaby for selective focus.
Thanks for the information, Duh. A 100mm macro (canon) is on my wish list... Those photos with LensBaby look very nice. Which one do you have?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thanks tomato_girl, glad you like those. I've had Canon gear in the past, and their 100mm macro is an excellent lens, well worth having! Despite all the lenses I have, one of my favorites are 70's m42 mount Sears lenses, I use 135mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 (wide open) with pleasure.

LensBaby - I have 2.0 and Composer, but tend to like the flexibility of 2.0 better (close up and macro related mostly). Composer works very well for the street scenes, but don't particularly fancy the focusing mechanism of it.

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”