bbobbillybob
Newly Registered

Slowing the growth of tomatoe seedling to reduce leggy stem

I have been growing tomato seedlings and they already have a 2nd pair of true leaves and I'm going to reduce the growth speed because to preventing lankyness by reducing the tempature down to 55-65 degrees F at night and giving it fish emulsion weekly. I was wondering how to add the fish emulsion, do I just mix it with the water or mix with the soil. if I mix it with the soil how do I do that without damaging the roots? will the fish emulsion burn the roots if the plant is too young? Thank you fellow gardeners.

bigdoug

Found this helpful link on all things fish emulsion:

[url]https://www.the-organic-gardener.com/fish-emulsion.html[/url]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You have second leaves, cool!

I don't even have germination yet... I planted some yesterday, and some the day before, and some... ha ha... too early for germination.

Feeding them, and getting them off some of the heat sounds good.

I would also add a fan to strengthen those stems, don't want delicate ones that break when you try to transplant them.

Good luck!

Jbest

bbobbillybob wrote:I have been growing tomato seedlings and they already have a 2nd pair of true leaves and I'm going to reduce the growth speed because to preventing lankyness by reducing the tempature down to 55-65 degrees F at night and giving it fish emulsion weekly. I was wondering how to add the fish emulsion, do I just mix it with the water or mix with the soil. if I mix it with the soil how do I do that without damaging the roots? will the fish emulsion burn the roots if the plant is too young? Thank you fellow gardeners.
Before you add fertilizer, what are they growing in? I would reduce the temps to 50-55 and give as much light as possible 24/7 if it is fluorescent. John

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah be easy on the fert. They are still baby's so we need to take baby steps. And every week would be way too much even for a mature plant.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It might even be a good idea to wait until they have their second set of true leaves before you add the fertilizer. When the plant has its seed-leaves, it is actually getting all its nutrition from them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”