seagullplayer

The growth will also depend on the type tomato you plant.

I posted some pictures of mine today in a seperate thread, mine where planted 12/9. I transplanted into homemade newspaper pots last Friday, they as starting to take off.
My Mountain Princess is more that 2x the size of my ground cherry's, all planted the same day.

I really like the home made newspaper pots, easy to make and cheap. The watering from the bottom is the bomb! I don't have to worry about drainage or over watering or...

(Nice pictures) I also used the pellets. My main planting in a month I think I will skip them and plant ringh in the news paper pots

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all again.

Your plants are looking good Rainbow. I think you invite for the transplant must have got lost in the mail so send another thanks. :lol: But really have you thought about having someone take video and putting it on you tube or something? I will be keeping an eye on your thread like I have already been.

TZ I already have started giving them the "Cold Shoulder" a little at a time. They have actually came pretty far since last night when I took the pic. Right now they are in the sun and loving it.

Apple we think too much alike. I am using an upside down flat to raise them to the light but not for heat issues. I also have a little electric heater down there that I put on when it gets real cold down there.

I need to get another level of lights like RG. I have two 4ft. 4 bulb lights but it's gonna get crowded here real soon. Hmmm! Freecycle here I come.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

seagullplayer wrote:The growth will also depend on the type tomato you plant.

I posted some pictures of mine today in a seperate thread, mine where planted 12/9. I transplanted into homemade newspaper pots last Friday, they as starting to take off.
My Mountain Princess is more that 2x the size of my ground cherry's, all planted the same day.

I really like the home made newspaper pots, easy to make and cheap. The watering from the bottom is the bomb! I don't have to worry about drainage or over watering or...

(Nice pictures) I also used the pellets. My main planting in a month I think I will skip them and plant ringh in the news paper pots
You were posting when I was but I feel ya on the different growth times. I have new sprouts just now breaking out next to 2-3 bigger ones. And some that haven't even come up yet. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I will not be using the peat pellets anymore. I have a bunch of flats now, If I had them before that's what I would have use with P-soil. To tell the truth when I bought the dome kit with the pellets I thought the tray had deeper cells and was going to use soil in place of the pellets anyways.

wolfie

hey Seagull, how do you make the newspaper pots? thanks!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Here's my tomato seedlings, Early Girl and Big Beefsteak (or something like that, my mind just went blank)

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/tomato_seedlings2.jpg[/img]

They (coincidentally?) were also planted on 2/12 and have not been touched yet. They are still on the heat pad, (doesn't show because they were pulled forward for the picture) which is on all the time. I don't have a thermometer but I would not guess that it is as hot as yours. They are planted thick in the little cells and are just getting their true leaves.

I'm leaving things alone right now, because Sat I'm teaching a little seed starting workshop at my house (informal just for people from my church), so I want to be able to show the transplanting process. After that I will pot all those up and get them off the heat mat.

Here:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/tomato_seedlings3.jpg[/img]

are the ultimate openers that were planted 2/3 and have been potted up. They are short because they were buried up to the cotyledons when transplanted. Not a great picture, but they are sturdy, healthy little plants.

I posted some pictures of other stuff in my seed starting operation thread here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113803#113803

Hey RG, I really like your seed starting set up. Tell me, though, what size pots are those in your second picture? Are they the 3 in. or the 4 in.? It looks like you can 18 of them into a 1020 flat. At least, that's how many I counted in the flat in you "Seed Starting Pics" post.

I've been hearing from several members that I better pot up from my seed-cells or I could have some pretty stunted plants. Do you continue to grow your toms and peps in those larger, square pots until you transplant them? Do the plants still need supplemental light after they have been potted up? I'm pretty sure they do.

Thanks for any help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hey RG, I really like your seed starting set up. Tell me, though, what size pots are those in your second picture? Are they the 3 in. or the 4 in.? It looks like you can 18 of them into a 1020 flat. At least, that's how many I counted in the flat in you "Seed Starting Pics" post.

I've been hearing from several members that I better pot up from my seed-cells or I could have some pretty stunted plants. Do you continue to grow your toms and peps in those larger, square pots until you transplant them? Do the plants still need supplemental light after they have been potted up? I'm pretty sure they do.

Thanks for the compliment. I've built it up gradually over the 9 years we've been here. The pots are 3" square at the top (3.5" deep) and 18 of them do fit in the flat.

Yes, I just leave them in those pots til transplant in the ground. By that time the tomatoes are outgrowing the pots, but I don't have anywhere to put big pots under lights indoors.

Yes, they definitely still need the light until they can go outdoors.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they definitely still need the light until they can go outdoors.
That's what I was afraid of; I have enough floor (table) space, but not enough light space. I'll have to perhaps acquire another light by pot-up time or possibly find some pots that are deep, but not that wide.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”