scottk
Newly Registered

Sunlight needed for tomatoes

When I planted my garden, the area was getting a good amount of sunlight during the day.

However, the huge pecan tree in my yard has now put on leaves and the garden area gets much less sunlight. The garden begins getting sunlight on one side at about 12:30 or 1:00PM and the sunlight slowly moves across the garden until about 3:30 or 4:00PM. Is that enough sunlight for tomato plants to do well, or do I need to do some trimming of the surrounding trees?

As of now, the plants seem to be doing fine, they are probably 2.5 to 3 feet tall, and each have blooms, and one plant has a small tomato growing. My father-in-laws garden was planted at the same time and with the same plants, and although his plants are only about 1.5 to 2feet tall and are more bushy, they all have small tomatoes forming. His garden gets full sun throughout the day.

Thanks for any advice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would think that your plants would need more sunlight that what they are currently getting, especially when they have fruit. You may wish to prune your tree to give your tomatoes some more sunlight. Or you could try moving your tomatoe plants.

dianabauman

I had the same problem last year. My garden was in my backyard last year and it received sunlight during the morning hours. My plants grew very large and had beatiful foliage, however, I did not get alot of fruit. They came later in the season and not many. This year I joined a community garden which has sunlight 24 hours a day.

Grey
Greener Thumb

:shock: 24 hours might be a bit much! :lol: Plants need some darkness!

I'm sure you meant it gets full sun. :D

dianabauman

Oops, We definitely get night out here in Iowa. Full Sun, yes that is what I meant! (Hey, I'm a beginner gardener, what can I say :)

scottk
Newly Registered

dianabauman wrote:I had the same problem last year. My garden was in my backyard last year and it received sunlight during the morning hours. My plants grew very large and had beatiful foliage, however, I did not get alot of fruit. They came later in the season and not many. This year I joined a community garden which has sunlight 24 hours a day.
That seems to be what is happening with mine. The plants are at least 3 feet tall, and as of now I only have 2 small tomatos. There are a good number of blooms, but they don't seem to be producing. Luckily my squash seem to be doing well, as they have about 10 squash on each plant already.

scottk
Newly Registered

Even though my tomatoes formed and ripened a good bit later than my Father in Law's whose were in direct sunlight, mine were much more disease free, large and numerous. I've probably had 40-60 tomatoes so far from about 8 plants, with maybe 5 rotten ones.

There are still plenty of green ones on the plants also.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”