cynlee01
Newly Registered

Favorite Tomato

Love that German Johnson & grow it every year. Have heard Mister Stripey is real good too. Didn't have any luck w/the reputable Brandywine. Celebrity wasn't the best tasting. Let me hear your zone 7 favorites!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

There are two Mr Stripeys, on is more properly called Trigrella and is an early salad/large cherry type that is quite tasty. The widely available bicolor beefsteak "Mr Stripey" is not known to be one of the better bicolors. Lucky Cross would be a better choice for a bicolor.

I grow around 30 new varieties each year and usually grab for Black Krim and Pink Brandywine for fresh eating, but some people do not like the distinctive flavor of some of the blacks, and that particular Brandywine can be temperamental.

If you have not tried Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Green you really should. Those along with Lucky Cross are all associated with North Carolina heirloom tomato guru Craig Lehoullier.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Brandywine (Sudduth's), can be finicky based on what many gardeners saying, but seem to do rather well in my garden, and a favorite indeed!

Cherokee Purple is another favorite for us as well.

Black From Tula, with a perfect balance of sweetness and acidity imo, very tasty

Bull's Heart, another favorite in our house. On the sweeter side, with almost "fruity" notes, and very productive as well.

Regards,
D

bigdoug

In your region you can't go wrong with the Russian varieties:Black Krim, Paul Robeson, Anna Russian, Black from Tula all are hearty and very tasty

As for Mr. Stripey, I grew it for a couple years and the taste was bland at best. Worse, they went from ripe to mush in seconds flat (I exaggerate of course). For a good bi-color tomato you just can't beat Pineapple. It not only makes peoples best-of lists for bi-color toms. It makes a lot of their lists for favorite tomato period.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

After hearing great reviews on Paul Robeson and Anna Russian from just about everyone - these two made it to my 2010 list. Can't wait to try them!

Regards,
D

cottonpicker

Anna Russian & Eva Purple Ball are two of my favorites!

LarryD

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My favorite:

Arkansas Traveller. They used to be the most productive, and best tasting tomato that I could buy to grow.

Then they got hard to find... Now the ones that I get that have that label, grow poorly, produce poorly, and just aren't quality.

A friend owns a fruit stand, and he says they are not the same tomato.

Is there anyway to find the old guy... the good one?

I search, and I order seeds for Arkansas Traveller, looking for the one that I used to grow routinely.

I know, memories are always better than reality! ha ha

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Traveler 76 is an improved version of Traveler, and may be what you use to buy. If Traveler has been altered somehow the Traveler 76 may still be like it used to be.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”