gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

!! THE RACE FOR JUNE TOMATOES IS ON !!

Gixxerific, I hope you won't mind that I've edited your post a bit to explain what's going on. I've split the Tomato Race from the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21405]First seeds for 2010 - Planted![/url] thread. Of course you had to go and post on that thread about the race while I was working on the splitting process :roll: That post got left behind, so I'll be copying it on the bottom here, unless you want to go ahead and re-post. As you said, this is all just in fun. -- Applestar :wink:
rainbowgardener wrote:Anybody can have tomatoes by the 4th of July! :) I'm always working on June tomatoes! Usually have tomatoes near the end of June, sometimes closer to the middle if weather cooperates....

JUNE TOMATOES!! :) (For that it helps to grow quick ripening tomatoes like Early Girl, Ultimate Opener. I'm doing both this year.)
Duh_Vinci wrote:
applestar wrote::twisted: OK everybody, who else thinks this sounds like a challenge? :twisted: ...
It does, doesn't it? I'm in :wink:

Last year was mid July for me for the smaller varieties. June tomatoes you say :roll: Healthiest, and largest plants I've seen so far are Alex's and Dono's... Still, bring it on! :-()

Planting the rest of tomatoes this weekend!

Regards,
D
Thanks now I don't have to comment on that. :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, a challenge, a race... what is the prize?

There needs to be a reason... Oh that's right, the winner gets to eat tomatoes before anyone, and make us all turn green with envy!

I am not in this race... not a seed in soil.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Don't have a plan yet, nor South facing window, so I guess I'm hoping for the nice spring :roll: Good luck to all! And yes, indeed, eating the first ripe, self grown tomato in 2010 would be or so nice! But the sooner - the better!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Don't have a plan yet, nor South facing window, so I guess I'm hoping for the nice spring :roll: Good luck to all! And yes, indeed, eating the first ripe, self grown tomato in 2010 would be or so nice! But the sooner - the better!

Regards,
D
Again you took the words right out of my mouth. :D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I tell you, this would be fun no "mater" what happens... And I have no large pots... Looks like I have to stop by dollar store, to see if they still have those left!

On the side note, what if, that very first tomato would be a "Green When Ripe" variety :roll: :lol:

Regards,
D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

What color are the "green when ripe" before they are ripe?

I mean, how do you know when to eat them, or not fry "green maters" with them?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:What color are the "green when ripe" before they are ripe?...
That's just it, they are green! Here is a page just for fun, so you can see the color variations of different breeds: https://tomatogrowers.com/green.htm

Indeed a little harder to tell the difference on those, compare to the others, followed by the "blacks".

From the Greens - these 4 are on my to grow list this year:

Moldovian Green
Green Copia
Grub's Mystery Green
Green Zebra

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I went by the Dollar General today but didn't go in. There was a picket, I'm in the union so no biggie. They are having their buildings built by people from Florida, no offense Floridians but what about us Missourians that are out of work. :twisted:

I did get some more free pots again today 3rd shipment if you will. I got a about 16 5-6 gallon some more 6 in., 4 in. and some more flats. Tomorrow will be a big planting day now that I have my lawn and garden shopping mostly done.

I'm gonna put some more potatoes in the bigun's and maybe some of the onions I picked up today. It's gonna be busy tomorrow.

I'm gonna go by the store tomorrow and pick up a tomato and some duct tape, I'm gonna win for sure. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gixx - Your "lonely" tomato is huge and sturdy, way bigger than anything I have. The earliest planted of mine, the Ultimate Openers, have just started their first true leaves. So, so far you are way ahead! But I'm ahead of where I usually am this time of year, so we shall see.

All depends on what the weather does and that's feeling pretty unpredictable this year. Those icicles out my window that I posted the picture of, have tripled in size and number since then! The window has nearly disappeared behind a sheet of ice!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's what I thought as well until D_V reminded me about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21165]hendi_alex's[/url] post, Go Alex! :D

Just so it makes you feel better the weatherman said yesterday that we are in for another 2 weeks of arctic cold, maybe some of the coldest this season. :x I wait that won't make you feel better. Sorry. :cry:

kimbledawn

Well, I have been following this lil race for awhile and I think that I may just jump in :D I started my seedlings Feb 3 so I'm a lil behind but I started them in my own mix and many germinated after 2 days so we'll see what happens.

I love challenges!!!!!

Dawn

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

So, what kinds of tomatoes are being entered into this race?

I think that someone mentioned Early Girl and Ultimate(?)

So what others are in the running?

I need to start some. I don't select for earliness. I try to pick tomatoes for taste, and heat tolerance. I think, it might be a good idea to select some for earliness, and have my heat tolerant ones coming behind them...

Also... I never plant enough of any crop...
How many tomatoes are you planning to grow this year?

I bought about 20 plants in 2009, of which only about 6 did well. The others should have been pulled out.

applestar
Mod

gixxerific wrote:It's not an actual "race" just for fun. It just has been kind of evolving, I would think this is a common thing on garden forums. Now why didn't I join a few years ago, could someone tell me this. I have been gardening by myself all this time, I've been lonely. :(

I don't think I have any early tom's some mediums though but I have:
Brandywine, Amish Paste, Giant Syrian, Kumato, Black From Tula, Cherokee Purple, Spiridonovskie (Notice my nickaname is the middle of that one it was made for me :lol:), Black Cherry, Isis Candy Cherry (which I have on miles ahead of all my others).

Again good luck to all of us, not for the race just for a good season, well the race too. :lol:
Last edited by applestar on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Hmm, I've been reading this over, and I guess *I* was the one to call rainbowgardener on it first, so it behooves me to join the race.... 8)

I have a contender that's been growing for a while, but it may be disqualified on the grounds that it's not an intentionally seeded tomato (a volunteer in a container). Also, with it lack of "papers" as it were, and uncertain parentage, I've no idea whether it's a Determinate or Indeterminate -- who knows how it will be doing come June? What is the parlance? "Dark Horse?"

So late as it is, I've decided to start today:
Moskvich 60 days
Moskvich, Jr. (from last years harvest) ?? days
Yellow Bell 60 days
Bellstar 65 days

:-()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh you want to play like that huh? I take that as a formal "Gardeners start your potting soil" :lol:

Volunteers, December starts, greenhouse whatever bring it on. It's (too me) the first tom of the season that you didn't buy it at the store ( it would have to grown in your garden to me, even a plant bought at a store). But don't tell Alex I think he might have us on this one.

I've got my contender sunning on the porch. It wanted to go out and breath some air. So do I, it's gonna be 36 today than drop off again. So get it while you can I say.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03332.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03333.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It is 50 here today, sunny and wind only 3mph ... I am going to go work in the garden...

That should get me in a seed starting mood... ha ha
And while out there... I just might pick up my seed starting containers from the garden table... they are due a good scrub!

Actually, I think this "race" will be fun to watch!

Who is the race announcer? Can't be a contestant... You know the guy/gal who says: And they are off... Alex is by far the favorite... but Gixx with his lonely heart is fast gaining, oh my... here comes Apple into the far turn with her volunteer...

:kidding:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That was a great post in the "race" thread, got me laughing with the commentator part. 50* must be nice.

I sent this in a PM cause I didn't want to contaminate that thread. I was in the middle of planting things got to get back to that.

Have fun in the sun.

:flower:

Dono

Woop's I thought I pm'd this guess I didn't :oops: Oh by the way it was to OL
Last edited by gixxerific on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well so far you are way ahead gixx! All I have are my teeny little sprouts with their first true leaves and none of them have seen the light of day.

They are Ultimate Opener 57 days, Early Girl 62 days (? if you look it up you find a whole range days to maturity cited; I think this is what the catalog said). The Ultimate Opener was the quickest maturing indeterminate variety I could find.

There is:
Sub Arctic Plenty (45 days to harvest; 3 to 4 ounces; fruit concentrated in center clusters; determinate)

I like indeterminate ones that keep on producing, but if we are going to keep having this race, maybe NEXT year I will have to try the SubArctic (MAY tomatoes any one!? :) :) )

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

To tell the truth on another forum there is someone with quite a few tom's in his greenhouse. Sorry, I feel so dirty talking about the other one. :oops: :lol: You know I love you guy's :P.

But that don't count because..... and ......and.... and.....!!

Where is hendi_alex? I would think if he doesn't already have some he would be close, and that definitely counts.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

There are indeed plenty of extra early varieties out there. I agree with Rainbow about indeterminate, truly wonderful to have a plant producing into the frost, but...

In my effort to have the early tomatoes, there are few made the list for me that are determinate varieties. What could possibly give me the June tomatoes - will see, but possible contenders are:

Pipo 2-3oz little guys (Det) 41 days
Fruhe Liebe 1-2oz (Compact Ind) 48 days
Kalinka 4-9oz (Det) 48 days
Noire De Crimee 4-6oz, variation of Black Krim, (IND) 52 days
Early Wonder Pink 3-6oz (Det)

Will see... Non of them of any size yet, nor that I've grown any of these before, but will see!

Good luck to all!

Regards,
D

tn_veggie_gardner

Dang, and I thought I started mine early. A plant that big in MO, gixxerific? How'd you pull that off? =) Maybe we should separate the contest by month started. lol...Here's a few eh quality camera phone pics of my Rutgers, Persimmon, Better Boy & Wisconsin 55 that I took at lunch today. They were started from seed in dirt on January 23rd.

Rutgers (I think one or two of these need to be "mini-staked"...falling over a tad:
[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_983.jpg[/img]

Persimmon:
[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_984.jpg[/img]

Better Boy:
[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_986.jpg[/img]

Wisconsin 55:
[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_987.jpg[/img]

- Steve

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Steve,

Your pictures very much remind me of my growout last year! I went to the dollar store, bought tons same 16oz cups, seedlings did really well into the transplant to the garden time!

Regards,
D

P.S. Please, share your experience with Persimmon this year! I wanted to grow it out too, but could only do but so many varieties, so it would have to wait till 2011...

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

looks like I'm the winner.

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba024.jpg[/img]

I must have the Late February variety

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Veggie_Gardener those look pretty good. I'm no expert but they look like the should be potted up and buried. That's what I did to mine. The stem will root and build you a better stronger plant. If you already knew that than carry on looking good.

Mine I started in Dec some time maybe early I can't remember exactly and didn't write it down.

Sage hermit it aint over yet I don't see any fruit on that, though there may be.
Do you know you can bury something that big, stripped of leaves sideways in the ground, that would make one killer plant bro.

Still haven't heard from Alex.
:?

tn_veggie_gardner

Vinci: Thanks. =) I will let you know how they go. It's my first time growing several of the varieties I'm doing this year; Many heirlooms too! I'm wicked excited about the 2 Sungold's & Black Cherry. I've also been looking forward to growing Amish paste for a few years too.

gixx: Thanks...At 3 and 1/2 weeks old, they will stay in these cups for at least a few more weeks. The roots are reaching the side of the cups well, but have yet to hit the bottoms (at least last time I checked). Last year my mater plants were in them for 8-9 weeks and didn't get root bound. I will keep an eye on them, as I always do though & pot up if necessary. =)

I imagine with as well as the Foliage Pro 9-3-6 is already helping, they may well need to be potted up at 6-7 weeks of age! I love this stuff. I have a ton of 1 gallon nursery pots if that becomes necessary.

- Steve

top_dollar_bread

haha I'm in I guess, I'm behind already..started early this month
my Brandywine is growing faster then the rest but I started in amended soil while the others just got compost, sand and coco.
ill post the names of my toms, I went all out this year. I got me a nice variety of toms and I'm not a tomato guy...my neighbors and microbes will enjoy most of what I harvest

Earl K
Green Thumb

Wow,interesting thread.I should already have plants going but we have been having near freezing temps lately.Just saved some seeds from a homegrown Campari last night,Also have seed from the first round.Those grew very Quick so I better get some seeds into some soil or I don't stand a chance.Well,I am definately in but don't have anything growing but some herbs and strawberries.I will press hard on the Toms. to see what we can eat first.Good luck to all. EarlK 8)

applestar
Mod

Here's my contender, currently living in a 8" diam x 9" deep sunny yellow beach pail with two earthworms. :D

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6419.jpg[/img]

If I can shuffle the containers around enough, I might be able to fit a 5 gal bucket there... 8) I'd like to up-pot to at least a 10" diameter container of similar proportions to a 5 gal bucket... I keep looking at the empty 5 gal jug for the spring water sitting on the floor.... You can cut those up with a saw right? :twisted:

tn_veggie_gardner

applestar: We didn't say March tomatoes, we said June ones! ;-) Lovely looking plant! I wish I had the ability to grow them all year round or lived in a zone where I could do so.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice AS you have quite that jungle there. I see a mator. :wink:

Forgot to mention winner get's to buy the materials and build me a raised bed or 2 or 3. :P

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I love everyone's tomato pics... gorgeous!

Good job!

I especially liked Apples photo... did you see the window?

What a contrast, a tiny green tomato growing, and obvious snow on the ground!

Does the window chill the plants any?

I am in trouble here...

I bought Jiffy, Organic Seed Starting Jiffy Mix... just bought it.
I have tried hot water in cups you name it... it drains well, but won't hold moisture... I now have the cups in a dome on top of the fridge, not planted, trying to raise humidity enough to moisten the soil.

Does anyone have more suggestions? The domes are steaming up... maybe the soil will finally absorb some moisture? Weird.

I only filled cups half full, figure as they grow I will use a different potting soil. The styrofoam cups are 8.5 oz. I fit 7 of them in plastic shoe box with lid.

I do not want to put seeds into soil that is not moist... now what?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'll be really sad if I don't get ripe tomatoes before June, though I'm in zone 8. Would hope to have my first ripe 'Juliet' in early May. The plants are already forming blossoms, but cold weather has slowed development of the plants, so maybe will be frustrated when it comes to early harvest. As you say, most people in this area get their first ripe tomatoes in late June or early July. I continue to strive for late April, but have not succeeded hitting that early date yet.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

tn_veggie_gardner wrote:applestar: We didn't say March tomatoes, we said June ones! ;-) ...
:shock: Yeah, that!!!

Nice job overwintering this guys, and fruit is already set - nice!!!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

It's the beach bucket -- it thinks it's summertime :cool:
But SHHH! don't spill the beans :lol:

I keep the tomato back enough away from the window so the leaves don't touch the glass (the one time that one did, it promptly got frost bitten). At night time, I draw the cafe curtains between the tomato and the window, making sure to tuck any stray tomato leaf inside of the curtain (which incidentally, helps to reflect the lights back -- 2 CFL lights, aimed sideways, stay on as long as I'm up -- on first thing in the morning, off last thing at night; there's an overhead 75W incandescent in a hanging Tiffany light that is now about 18" from the top of the tomato which gets turned on at dusk and stays on while I'm up).

The row of parsleys, onion bottom sprouts, seedling citruses, and a scented geranium on the window sill stays between the curtain and the window to chill :wink:. The peppers are 1/2 pot further inside to avoid any chance of cold draft, and the jalapeno is right next to a CFL to keep warm. The one other plant, all the way back in the photo, is Stevia, wich is managing to stay alive and occasionally send out new shoots. I added the 2nd CFL on that side early this month or late last month. I think the tomato would be a little less spindly had I done that from the start, but now that the sun is rising further east and earlier, these plants will receive more and more light in this ESE window while the trees remain bare.

Incidentally, I see a jumping spider patrolling the window and the window sill right now 8)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Looks like CFL addition works rather well!

I'm clearing one of the rooms, that would eventually be a spare bedroom/office, has double windows, going to convert that area for the "spring growout" racks. Need to think about how to add some light there on the budget. As of right now, both windows get good sun light from 12PM till 5pm or so, so a little help would be nice...

In the mean time, letting the sun to warm up some home made potting mix, need to transplant 3 tomatoes to 1 gal containers... Too bad that neither are early varieties. Leftovers from the soil-less mixtures I was testing: Rutgers and Brandywine X Cherokee Purple (or at least I think is what that cross is)

Regards,
D

top_dollar_bread

ok ok, heres what I got going on
all poped out of soil on feb 1

sugar sweete cherry
super sweet 100 cherry
red and yellow brandywine
cherokee purple
speckled roman
beefsteak
and black krim

the chrry toms should give me fruit the earliest (I think) but so far all but brandywine were planted in a coco/compost/casting/sand mix. because of no amendments ther growing pretty slow.
my brandywines were started in recyled amended soil and they are 3-4 times bigger then the rest. :D
I start like 3-5 seeds per party cup, so I moved 2 brandywines out side in the garden. ill re plant the rest of the toms in recyled soil and see what happends.
happy gardening everyone

applestar
Mod

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6441.jpg[/img] It's snowing again...

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6445.jpg[/img] ...but me and my buds
-- Hey, Peps! Hey, Jal! -- are happy :flower:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would have to call that a winner. are those peppers on the background?

Looking very awesome Apple making me feel bad looking at my tiny little plants here. :oops:

applestar
Mod

Aw, don't feel bad! I told you that Contender is a "Ringer" didn't I?
It's [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99930#99930]one of these guys[/url], and I really wasn't considering it eligible for the race. :roll:

But yes! Those dark green round lumps are sweet peppers (3 on each plant) and the pendant ones (not all in the photo but there are 6) are Jalapenos. They were lugged inside just before first frost in fall. I've been eating the Jalapenos -- I think 3 already. They develop fast. :() Soil surfaces in all three containers are covered with "worm signs" 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the rest of us are just starting the race, and Applestar has already won it! Imagine eating home grown tomatoes in the snow! Maybe next year I'll try harder!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”