gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, the rest of us are just starting the race, and Applestar has already won it! Imagine eating home grown tomatoes in the snow! Maybe next year I'll try harder!
It just isn't right is it RG? :P And apple don't worry I'm not over here crying in a ball (or am I). Just jealous of your jungle versus my ant sized jungle. :lol:

Jbest

Not so fast applestar this photo was taken on Feb 13. I think I am the wiener.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/220.gif[/img] John
[img]https://www.jbest123.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/P2080002-560x607.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jbest didn't you post some pics of your greenhouse on the other forum? I want to say that was you that I was talking about earlier in this thread with toms on their plants already.

Still not fair :P :cry: Oh how I yearn for a fresh tomato. How about you or Apple mail me one?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a question...

You know how tomatoes that you buy in the stores in winter, have no flavor?

If you grow tomatoes inside, without sunshine, will they taste the same as the supermarket ones, or more like the garden fresh ones?

Jbest

gixxerific wrote:Jbest didn't you post some pics of your greenhouse on the other forum? I want to say that was you that I was talking about earlier in this thread with toms on their plants already.

Still not fair :P :cry: Oh how I yearn for a fresh tomato. How about you or Apple mail me one?
I think this the photo you seen. It was also taken on Feb 13.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/218.gif[/img] John
[img]https://www.jbest123.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/P2080001.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes that would be it. I'm going to go cry in my room now. I need a greenhouse. :idea:

By the way welcome to the other side.

applestar
Mod

Ah! We have a Challenger! :D
Looking really good jbest -- I already cried "wah!" about a greenhouse, didn't I? :lol: When did you start those toms?

I was trying to count back ... it took the Contender just short of 4 months = 112 days to ripening fruit -- wow that's a long time. Of course, I wasn't really doing anything special for it... it's 64ºF in the Kitchen on the counter right now, so it's probably a bit cooler near the window.... The Contender was an accident, too.... Imagine if it was more carefully considered: variety, container/indoor culture-adapted, hm, hm... Like rainbowgardener, I'm already thinking ahead to next fall... 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote: Like rainbowgardener, I'm already thinking ahead to next fall... 8)
Done and done, little by little my friend. Oh it's on next year. I might be starting plants in, well a lot earlier than this year.

tn_veggie_gardner

gix: I bought a large cold frane this year so I can avoid those nights crying in my room. ;-)

Jbest

This is Oct 8, the Tom plants are on the top left shelf, click to enlarge.
[img]https://www.jbest123.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PA080002.JPG[/img]
This photo was taken on Feb 8
[img]https://www.jbest123.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/P2080004-560x746.jpg[/img]

tn_veggie_gardner

I think we have multiple winners for the February tomatoes...lol. Maybe we should split this up into month by month threads? Lookin nice y'all! I know I speak for a lot of us when I say we're jeaous of your wicked early tomatoes & wish we had the means, zone or whatever to grow them that early ourselves. =)

- Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Mine haven't even sprouted :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:!

Congratualtions, everyone, on your great tomato plants. How about we set a universal start date next time...actually, there is still time to set a date! Even if all our plants have started, we can aways make room for one more :wink:.

How about March 1 as the seed-planting date? This way, we can see who can get their tomatoes to grow the fastest and there won't be any "false starts" :wink:. What do you think?

Gix, if I'm totally hijacking your thread, please shoot me a PM and I'll get rid of all this :oops:. We can still try for a June tom, It'll just be from a universal starting date.

Thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This isn't my thread this is "our" thread and I would have to say JB has it. First tom of the year. Sorry Apple. :(

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Wow!!! Fresh, home grown tomato - nice, very, very nice!!! Congrats on overwintering this guy J!

What wouldn't I do for a taste of a home grown mater right about now... Got the basil though :?

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

:lol: Congrats, jbest :lol:

Ozark Lady, how would you report this leg of the "race"? We haven't heard updates from hendi_alex either, though... and there're bound to be other folks lurking :hide: C'mon out! Share your tomatoes! -- Where oh where will my Contender end up?
Stay tuned! :-()

p.s. garden5 if yours haven't sprouted I'm only *slightly* ahead of you -- out of 4, two varieties have their seed leaves unfurled, and two others are just lifting their necks, with a good few of them still goose-necked over. :wink:
My main tomato seed planting will be as of 3/1 as well, which will be 2 weeks earlier than last year.
Last edited by applestar on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alright than on to the "this year" started tom's what do you say?

As Apple said what about Alex I would be sure he would have something by now.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wait a minute...
In a real race, you have starting positions...
Not sure, do they get them based on the qualifying laps?
Anyhow...
Should the top three of the last report, spot a day to the others? ha ha

I don't have short season tomato seeds, so, I will remain an observer.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I just found another contender :shock::
Earl K
Green Thumb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote
D_V,I still have your address from your prior shipment of seeds,actually have 4 Spiridinovski toms. red and ready on the vine(only ones to survive our freeze down here)I am about to plant my next go around,just tryin to figure my tomato varieties.I already have quite a few strawberries coming along.Will send some seeds as soon as I cut that ba by open.will keep you posted. Gixxxxxxxxxxx.I am gonna do especially good this time so hopefully you and your fam. can come get some fresh veggies when you are in sunny Fl. in June.Would like to actually meet a gardener friend.Keep me posted brotha

You can find the original post on page 2 of the "First Seeds 2010 Started" thread. Since JBest's photo wan take on I belive the 8th and this post was on the 5th......according to the rule of proof......Earl K is in the lead so far. :o

Glad to hear you will be joining me on Mar. 1, Apps! :D Although most of my main crop has been started, this one will be a special "competition" plant.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just started another set of Tom seeds myself probably more to come. 8)

Jbest

I didn't do this to win any race. I just wanted tomatoes by Christmas time but we have had so few sun days it was Feb before the first one. My next challenge will be pruning them enough to move them outside without killing them. Trying to have toms until the Brandy Boys produce.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/115.gif[/img] John

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes by Christmas in zone 5 sounds like it would have to take a miracle. What you do is pretty amazing!

I hope no one is taking the "race" too seriously-- it's just a fun way to talk about what we are all doing and what progress we are making. The rest of my tomato seedlings will get potted up into the 3" pots tomorrow! (But they are still babies with just their first set of true leaves.)

Jbest

If you click on the photo in my last post, a larger photo will load and if you click the second time the full size photo will load. The plants in the top left hand corner are the tomatoes and peppers. I do not remember when I planted the seeds but by the size of the plants, I would say 5-6 weeks prior to the photo. I think if MN would have given me more sun days, I would have had tomatoes on Christmas. The down side is, we depend on the GH for our winter salad greens and keeping the GH warm enough for tomatoes and peppers is too warm for the salad greens and they bolted quick time. I think I will forgo the Ts and Ps next fall.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/231.gif[/img] John

tn_veggie_gardner

Yea, it's all for fun, y'all! =) Maybe we could continue it & see who shows the first ripe tomato every month?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just want a dang fresh tomato I don't care if it is the last of the season in the whole U.S.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It isn't like the winner of this race gets a trophy, prize money, or a bonus.

And there is no pie in the face, or tomato thrown at ya for being last..

We will all celebrate with the winner (might be a bit jealous, or envious!), and we will still all celebrate with the loser, and the no-shows...

Personally, I am on a personal quest for the best tasting, and most goof proof tomato on the planet... And lots of them!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I hope no one is taking the "race" too seriously--
I think it is a little late for that :lol:.

I don't know about everyone else, but I I'll be planting a seed Mar 1 and trying to see how soon I can get a fruit off of it. I don't have the equipment to try to make my whole garden "early start friendly," but I can work with just one plant. This way I can focus all of my efforts on that plant.

Who's with me :o! It does not have to be a June tomato, but maybe just the earliest one. It's cool if no ones with me :oops:; I'm doing it for something to try, anyway.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I am always trying for the earliest tomato I can get, but that's just for me. I am potting up all my tomato plants that I started around Valentine's day, today.

I just didn't want to see people getting all competitive about it. As Ozark Lady said, the only prize is getting to eat that ripe tomato! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Well, I am always trying for the earliest tomato I can get, but that's just for me. I am potting up all my tomato plants that I started around Valentine's day, today.

I just didn't want to see people getting all competitive about it. As Ozark Lady said, the only prize is getting to eat that ripe tomato! :)
I just upotted today as well and the only person I'm really "racing" with is myself. I also started some yesterday I believe or the day before. Really I'm just playing with it for now and hoping for the best. I refuse to buy tomato (plants) from someone else this year that is what I'm all about. :P

Though I do have enough to sell, maybe I should start a nursery. I have enough pots that is for sure. :lol:

tn_veggie_gardner

35 days from seed in dirt...

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_998.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_999.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_001.jpg[/img]

Here come my June tomatoes! -)

- Steve

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Nice and healthy looking plants! Good luck on your June harvest!

Regards,
D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, those look great. What is the white matter around them? Is it perlite or grit?

tn_veggie_gardner

Thanks, y'all. =) The white matter is in fact Perlite. Including the top layer, each pot has 2-3 layers of it, along with the other ingredients of my potting mix.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's one of my ultimate openers, just because I wanted to try the super close ups people have been taking:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/tomato_seedling3-1.jpg[/img]

Obviously, I'm not winning the "race," but I'm ahead of where I usually am this time of year, so barring any disasters, should be on track for those June tomatoes! :)

Here's the seed starting operation

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seed_starting3-1.jpg[/img]

If you click on it to make it bigger, you will notice that the two tomato varieties that were recently potted up (Early Girl and Big Beef) are in a drip tray, sitting on top of an upside down drip tray to bring them closer to the light. (Since under that light are also some taller things, I can't just lower the light.)

Two of the three trays on the top shelf, cabbages and broccoli, are now out on the deck, hardening off -- it is 38 degrees and cloudy, which is pushing it a bit for plants that have been babied, but at least it will slow them down from keeping on getting bigger so fast.

tn_veggie_gardner

Lookin nice, rainbow! =) I think I'm going to build kind of an indoor rack/shelved lighted seed starting thing (for lack of better words...lol) something this year to use next year, so I won't be so dependent on sunlight.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Great looking seedlings, and great close-up! Quite a "mini farm" you got going there! Very nice!

Regards,
D

seagullplayer

GREAT looking plants!

I will try and get new pictures up this week of my early tomato plants, they have been doing very well, I started unplugging all the lights, grow lights and heat light at night. It really seemed to help the plants grow?

The mini greenhouse sets in the living room infront of our windows, so it does not get that cool overnight.

I just picked up our new portable outdoor greenhouse last night after work, I hope to get it put up this weekend, suppose to warm up a tad this week!

Maybe I can stay in the hunt for an early tomato...

My youngest son left for Army boot camp yesterday, that leaves me and my wife along again after 20 years, this little project gives us something ELSE to talk about. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Great looking seedlings, and great close-up! Quite a "mini farm" you got going there! Very nice!

Regards,
D
Thanks and yeah, I do call it my micro farm (smaller than mini! :) ), all divided up into little micro fields!

I'm not done yet, both shelves will be full by the time I can put everything out. And it fills and empties at the same time. The first two trays (cabbages and broccoli) are now spending their days out on the deck and their nights on the floor of my office... they are keeping me company now as I type!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

seagullplayer wrote:GREAT looking plants!

I will try and get new pictures up this week of my early tomato plants, they have been doing very well, I started unplugging all the lights, grow lights and heat light at night. It really seemed to help the plants grow?

I find that... I don't turn the heat off, but do turn the lights off every night. Some people leave lights on 24/7, but my plants always seem to do better with a rest period. Maybe they are just lazy like me :)

The mini greenhouse sets in the living room infront of our windows, so it does not get that cool overnight.

I just picked up our new portable outdoor greenhouse last night after work, I hope to get it put up this weekend, suppose to warm up a tad this week! YAY!! Good news, the greenhouse and the warm up!

Maybe I can stay in the hunt for an early tomato... Sure! RBG

My youngest son left for Army boot camp yesterday, that leaves me and my wife along again after 20 years, this little project gives us something ELSE to talk about. :wink:

wolfie

how much do those green house things cost... the semi inexpensive ones lol

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes RBG I"m jealous. You have a great setup, I am somewhat modeling mine after yours but it is somewhat coincidental. I just got a new light to work on my second level it's a T5 and I would have to say it is brighter than the others. By next season I will have to expand it a bit more I'm still thinking about culling a few things to make room for other plants. Not bad though considering I had absolutely nothing down there 3 month's ago. Now my "micro" farm is growing. I might need to get some "micro" farmers to watch it while I'm at work though. :lol:

Oh and my lonely little cherry has had the tiniest little buds on it for a few day's now. Though it is not getting the care it really should it's still going, I did just up-pot it and it was pretty badly root bound.

Now if I can control the fungus gnats, my main control is my ninja like reflexes I like to catch them in the air.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”