tn_veggie_gardner

Tomato seedlings at 18 days from seed in dirt! =)

Here they are, my Persimmon seedlings at 18 days of age (about a week ago). They got their first (diluted about 1/2 strength) dose of Foliage Pro 9-3-6 this past weekend and are already looking much healthier! After experiencing some frustrating BER & a few other nutrient deficiencies last year, the MG Tomato food wasn't cutting it anymore & I needed to research a better plan. The 9-3-6 ratio is as close as possible to what the tomato plants would naturally take in for NPK (I think it's about 3-1.5-2), so I have great expectations for it! Let me know what you think. =)

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/img_9945.jpg[/img]

- Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! Is that mylar behind them or just a window reflecting? Is that where they are growing or were they moved for the picture? I don't see lights in the picture.

If you are trying to grow them just in front of a window, without supplemental lighting, that is the issue not fertilization. They need LOTS of light!

tn_veggie_gardner

Thanks =) The windowsill method worked fine for me last year. The seedlings started out leggy, but eventually caught up with the growing outwards vs. growing upwards. This year, they are still getting most of their light from the windowsills. The 2 windows I'm using are SSE & SSW facing. I did buy a suplemental light setup to help them though. =) I think it, along with the great amounts of sunlight they get, will be fine, at least for this year. I'm going to expand my lighting setup next year though, so I can have a bit more flexibility as to where they grow. Most of my pictures are taken at night, after I get home from work, hence the darkness outside. Here's a pic of my supplemental light setup. I'm going to try and find a way to get the lights a bit closer to the plants...

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_991.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAGE_990.jpg[/img]

- Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

not bad, but you are right about light closer to plants! It's doing well though.

applestar
Mod

Are you using perlite as mulch? That's inspired! :D
I wonder if they'll stay white or eventually get green algae growth on them?

tn_veggie_gardner

The potting mix I'm using is a combination of perlite, vermiculite, peat, lime, bark & one or two other things I forget. The Perlite you see is only about 1/2 an inch thick. There are several layers of each of the 3 mixes I'm using to make my potting soil. Should I mix in the perlite some more? I definitely don't want any mold...lol.

- Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”