Luido
Newly Registered

Tomato Newbie

Hi,

I'm from the UK. I'd love to start growing my own tomatoes. I've got a little boy and really want him to appreciate home grown fruit and veg.

Does anyone have a basic tomato start up list of things to do/buy?

Are there any varieites that are more suitable for cooler climates?

V excited about replies!

Thanks,
Luido

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find it friendly and helpful. There are tons of UK gardeners around the forum. I hope some of them will chime in with what varieties work for them.

Here's a couple websites that advertise tomato varieties adapted for cooler climates. The second one is UK based:

https://store.tomatofest.com/Cooler_Climate_Tomato_Varieties_s/47.htm

https://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/tomatoes/cold/cold.html

As I look at the sites, it seems that what they mean by "cooler climates" is short season areas where it stays frozen forever and only has a few frost free months. From what I know about England (correct me if I'm wrong) that's not really your problem -- you have I think milder winters than we in Northern US do, you just have cool, foggy summers.

It is not a great climate for tomatoes-- they do like a lot of sun. But looking specifically for tomatoes that tolerate lower light levels, I found these mentioned.

Subarctic Plenty, Siberian, Blizzard

So it sounds like the short season cool weather tomato varieties are also the ones that tolerate cool, less sunny summers better.

Calling all UK gardeners! What kinds of tomatoes do you grow!?

As far as what you need, not much. To start with I'd just find a good local nursery (not big box store!) and talk to them about what varieties grow well where you are and buy a few plants. After that you just need:

some good soil to put them in -- well amended with compost, manure, mulch etc.

some kind of staking/ caging system -- tomatoes are vines that need support if they aren't to sprawl on the ground

the sunniest spot you can find

compost or some kind of tomato food to feed them through the season. Natural is better. Lots of synthetic fertilizers are too high in nitrogen and then you get lots of leafy growth and not many tomatoes.

plenty of water.

Luido
Newly Registered

I never expected such a detailed answer to my question. Thank you so much.

Yes, it's more soggy here than cold and the sun disappears from October to March so looks like it's a spring/summer option - perfect timing!

I'm going to pop down to a garden centre and see if I can get some of the basics sorted.

GardenGeek
Cool Member

Once you are done with the tomato buying, here is the second detail you may look into to grow tomato well in your home. I am sure your little boy will love them :)

Choose a site that gets full sun and has soil with a pH of 6.0 to 7.0. Tomatoes need plenty of warmth to taste their best, so provide shelter from chilly breezes, whether with a windbreak of trees, a garden wall, or a vine-covered trellis.

Step 1
Amend the soil with plenty of compost; tomatoes need soil rich in organic matter.

Step 2
Harden off seedlings, whether store-bought or homegrown, and move them to the garden when nighttime temperatures remain above 50 degrees F.

Step 3

Dig a hole the size of a basketball for each plant. Add a shovelful of compost and a handful of crushed eggshells (for needed calcium) to each hole.

Step 4

Set the plants 12 to 18 inches apart depending on variety (see the seed packet or plant label). Plant them deeply - up to the fourth branch from the top - to encourage new root development.

Step 5

Place a paper collar around each plant to deter cutworms, and cover the plants with cloches or floating row covers to protect them from insects and cool temperatures.

Step 6

Remove the covers when the weather has warmed, mulch the soil and install any supports the plants will need as they grow.

Step 7
Make sure plants get between one and two inches of water every week, and to ensure a bumper crop, spray them with compost tea or seaweed extract four times: two weeks after transplanting, after the first flowers appear, when the fruits reach the size of golf balls, and when you spot the first ripe tomato.

Step 8
Pick tomatoes when their color is glossy and even, and their texture midway between soft and firm.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”