wolfie

how to get your own seeds?

Hello, I have read from some of you about getting your own seeds instead of buying. how do you do that? I know the tom's have seeds inside, but what is the actual process to getting and saving them for the following year?

thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener, wolfie.

We've had a few discussions here at The Helpful Gardener about saving tomato seeds. There seem to be two approaches to it. Since I haven't tried it for myself, all I can do is give you the link to one discussion (but it contains at least one link to another THG discussion on the same topic).

I hope you find the info you're looking for! :)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94970

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan,

Here is also a link for a seed saving tutorial with photos: [url=https://www.victoryseeds.com/information/seedsave_tomato.html]Saving Seeds[/url] I like the fermentation process, easy and great results thus far...

When choosing your tomatoes for seeds, try to find the one that has most of those treats, such as size, shape, taste, overall plant health...

Regards,
D

MC Mixin Bricks

:PHonestly I get mine from the cutting board. I have never done anything special for storage. today I checcked the eight seed I planted and one is up already. the seeds I just mentioned were sitting on a shelf, not even covered, since last year. there are more "proper" storage techniques. I come from a long line of italians, so all I have to do is think about a tomato and one just starts growing. we get what my family calls "volunteers". A tomato plant that appears out of nowhere.

but to answer your qeustion. buy the tomato you wnat to grow from your local foodmart. cut it in half, spread the seeds out to dry. and there you go. my family has not bought a tomato seed for for or five generations.

wolfie

Thanks D, I bookmarked that site and will definitely be cultivating my own seeds this year. I spent a whole lot of money on heirloom seeds to get done this year, so moving forward I will be set. Thanks again!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”