Bobby65
Newly Registered

No blossoms, no tomatoes

I have six tomato plants growing; all are normal size for this time of year in Texas. Plenty of light and water. But only one plant is producing any tomatoes. :cry: The other five don't seem to have any blossoms, or I'd hand-pollinate as has been suggested elsewhere on this Forum. Any ideas/suggestions?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'd say just be patient... blossoms should come.

It is mid-season where you are tho, isn't it? I remember harvesting tomatoes in May in Florida.

Bobby65
Newly Registered

Grey - yes, it is mid-season here. Usually, tomatoes are pretty well done by the end of June because of the hot weather. Then you plant again in August for a Fall crop. Don't have any idea why the tomato plants are growing, yet (with one exception) have no blossoms. I've watered, fed them, suckered them, have a bird net over them - but, frustratingly, very few tomatoes and those all from one plant. Everything else, from peppers to potatoes to onions to melons are dpomg fine.

Grey
Greener Thumb

That's really strange. I wish I had an answer for you :(

That was the one cool thing about Florida - two growing seasons!

welsh
Newly Registered

:? :? I'm having same problem in No. Carolina. 9 plants growing like crazy, two have exactly that 2 blossoms each, that's it. I was hoping to find an answer. I tried growing tomatoes down here about 6 yrs. ago. At that time, I also got large plants, but with loads of blossoms, that never went any further.
I always grew beautiful tomatoes in northern New York. Can't figure this out.

apbklyn
Newly Registered

I had the same worry (though I'm in NYC where tomatoes don't get prolific until end of August). I asked the lady at a new garden center I just discovered and she recommended organic fish oil fertilizer. I went home and put it on the plants. Ironically, two days later my plants were covered with tiny little blooms. I sort of don't think it was the fertilizer. I think they were just good and ready. Good luck!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is really easy to over stimulate tomatoes such that they make great foilage and little to no blooms. Also when weather gets above the mid 90's blooms just tend to drop with little or no fruit set. So if using regular fertilizer don't use too much and probably nothing more than 5-10-10. Better yet use a balanced slow release fertilizer like osmocote unless you are into organic methods which are less likely to overstimulate vegetative growth. Here in S.C. my plants have had continuous bloom and fruit set, so would doubt that temperature would be your problem. Last year I noticed that my brandywine tomatoes had very little bloom and fruitset. So your problem could perhaps be related to the variety grown, but am more inclined to think that they have been overstimulated with too much nitrogen or other nutrient.

COMPOSTORBUST
Newly Registered

I heard thru the Grapevine that the Global weather patterns have shifted and that Farmers are reporting minor changes in overall crop production. Certain plants producing more, some less, also plants like your tomatoes are producing late in the season, some plants producing earlier. Last year I got Tomatoes 3rd week in August, this year a month earlier, its just weird. Could be an Al Gore conspiracy. But overall I had a bumper crop so far, thats a good thing.

KEP
Newly Registered

I too have sort of the same problem and I am located in Sunny So. California. The reason I say sort of is that I have blossoms and I have a couple of tomatoes. If you want to call them tomatoes. One is about the size of a large marble and the other is currently the size of a pea. Very slow growing. My plant is a husky cherry tomato variety in a container. I wish I could help you!

welsh
Newly Registered

Went to NY for few days, oh my gosh! I'd forgotten what great country air feels like. To be able to sleep with the windows open and a sweet breeze blowing in all night, such a wonderful time, oh well My daughters' garden was producing all kinds of goodies. All the farm crops looked exceptional ( Jefferson&Lewis counties).
Now back in hot & humid Raleigh, tomatoes are still very full and healthy looking, but, no further improvement in the blossoming. I think it might possibly be over rich soil, as they were planted in large wood box containers. Each filled with Miracle Grow Garden soil, promising larger, more productive plants. I have not added any other fertilizer, so far. Seems, unnessesary. Guess, I'll just give them more time.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”